Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear folks,

I'm just a rookie of alto saxophone but love to try my first metal mouthpiece, Dukoff D5, after using the Selmer C** for about 2 years. As knowing MP with high baffle like Dukoff will easily make squeak sound, I currently encounter this with both loose or tight embouchure. The squeak mostly comes out whenever I start a note out of my first exhale. Trying both Rico Royal 2.5 or Vandoren 3 reed but the problem is still here? Is there any way I can adjust my throat / breathing style / lip position / embouchure to eliminate the squeak? Secondly, the out of the box ligature is just too tight to fit in any reed...is that normal? or.. something goes wrong?

Matt;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
This is common problem with Dukoff's. I think it is most common when going to one from a hard rubber piece. Your embouchure will need to adjust to the narrower width of the mouthpiece first. Also, because the moutpiece has such a high baffle, this also affects how you need to blow into it.

I find keeping a relaxed embouchure to work best with these, and I generally have luck with lower strength reeds, 2-1/2 or so. Then, I am playing a D8, so the opening are a bit apart.

A lot of people recommend synthetic reeds with these. I believe I have heard mention of the Fibracell being an especially good match. I'm sure someone will chime in as far as that goes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I recommend the following:

* 2.5 Fibracell reed.
* Rovner Light Ligature.
* Loose Embouchure with no, or very little curl in your bottom lip.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
623 Posts
Dukoffs are believed by many people to have very inconsisent and often poor facings stock from the factory and also are easily damaged since the metal is soft. So the problem could be the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
552 Posts
yes, -- it might be the mouthpiece - I have heard many stories about the dukoff's having small holes in the metal because of the way they were made and poor/broken facings -- I've never owned a dukoff so i can't verify this but, i know for a fact they are inconsistent and you should try some more of them than one and pick the one you like best

·
Registered
337 Posts
jmm1713 said:
yes, -- it might be the mouthpiece - I have heard many stories about the dukoff's having small holes in the metal because of the way they were made and poor/broken facings -- I've never owned a dukoff so i can't verify this but, i know for a fact they are inconsistent and you should try some more of them than one and pick the one you like best
as far as Dukoff pieces being inconsistent, yeah that is very true.

I have a D6 and a D8, that when stood side by side, the D8 is about a quarter inch longer. It is almost like the D8 is a tenor piece, but it isn't, it's just another alto piece. It is very weird.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Dukoffs are a crap shoot. A few are decent right out of the box. Most benefit from a reface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts