Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestion for sax (alto or tenor) and violin duet? Or any suggestions of pieces that can be transposed from violin or cello to sax that work well. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Marc Eychenne's "Cantilene Et Danse" for alto saxophone, violin, and piano.

Great piece IMO, very lyrical. The violin part is difficult and the alto part can get difficult at times, though more with musicality than technicality but it does have it's moments where you will definitely need to dedicated a good amount of practicing to it. The alto also has many unison lines with the violin and that will require lots of practice to get down as those are not easy passages sometimes.

Eugene Rousseau recorded this piece on his album "Eugene Rousseau And The Haydn Trio Of Vienna." And here are two YouTube videos of the piece (both different mvts):

Mvt I:
Mvt II:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks Ian! Do you know the names of the trio pieces as well?
Another vote for Marc Eychenne's "Cantilene Et Danse" for alto saxophone, violin, and piano.

Come Down Heavy by Evan Chambers is a substantial work that is popular in concerts; and Trio for Piano, Viola and Tenor Saxophone (originally Heckelphone), Opus 47 by Paul Hindemith uses a viola of course, but is worth mentioning.

Because I work with two classical saxophone players - Kyle Horch and Carole Sutherland - who both work with violin and piano in trio settings, I have written three such works - information is on my website if you are interested.

A trio of saxophone, string instrument and piano is such a beautiful and versatile ensemble, I am surprised it is not used that often. Also I have just discovered this CD of trios for saxophone, violin and piano.

http://classical.premieremusic.net/catalog/cd/VMS169

I would guess someone on this forum knows of it though.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Scott McAllister wrote a great trio for alto saxophone, violin, and piano titled "Pistol Packin' Mamma." You can get sheet music directly from McAllister at his website.

http://www.lydmusic.com/

Ida Gotkovsky's "Trio Lyrique" for the same instrumentation is also great.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW...thanks everyone! I basically live in the jazz world, but I have some classical experience as well. It's great to see that these kind of pieces are being composed and performed. I will definitely be checking all these out...thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts