Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
panic; i have been asked to play a couple of numbers with a tribute band (mostly soft rock and popular music). My boss thinks because I play sax in a concert band that I should be able to jump in and play with them!!!
Anyway, I have agreed. they have a lady who sings and plays sax with them already, she is a very good player, and has agreed to work with me. i am looking for a duet or two for us to use. I need sheet music for either two alto sax, or one alto and one tenor. If it is a well know number (eagles-Desperado etc) i am sure the band can fill in as they have been working together for several years. Only have three weeks to prepare, so can't make them too tricky to play. i am open to suggestions. i have tried searching and only come up with old songs or stuff that would be considered classical, and really appropriate for this gig.

Cheers-Swingmanstan

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,788 Posts
Sax duets are very limited for "soft rock and popular music", especially today's hits but here are two books by Hal Leonard that might work for you.

Since the lady is a good player she could either write a score or play the harmony by ear on a song or two that you would like to play. You might also call Hal Leonard to ask if they have any other duo books that are not showing up under this search.

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/publ...narrow_by=SAXOPHONE+DUETS&Ntt=SAXOPHONE+DUETS

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I'll keep working on it. the Beatles might not be a bad choice, most of the audience should be old enough to remember them (Darn, I feel old now!)

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,788 Posts
Welcome. Yes that is the idea. Play songs that people will know when they hear the melody. The Beatles are classic and reach a lot of age groups.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will give it another look, it will be something the band already knows, worth investigating further, thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts