Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever played with a drummer who has all the skills but his or her drum set tone/sound drives you crazy? Particularly the snare.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,573 Posts
No, I’ve been fortunate. But I understand what you are saying. It would be particularly bad if you are the jazz tenor in a big band, and have to sit next to it - same goes for bad cymbals. Don’t get me started about squeaky pedals on bass drum or high hat... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Actually, the drummer could play plastic buckets for all I care as long as the time feel is good.

But if he also has a good sound, I'll give the signal to the bass player to block the exit to prevent him from escaping.

·
34,573 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my old band we used a drummer for about a year who had a heavy metal/prog rock background. We were doing funk/soul stuff and his super tight piccolo snare tone (some 311-endorsed drum he said?) always seemed out of place, but he loved it and was proficient otherwise, so we tolerated it. He also insisted on a huge kit with a literal ton of cymbals...but he loaded in and setup himself, so not a problem for me. The next drummer was much more in line with our material (trained under Johnny Vidacovich), had a deeper snare tone and a much smaller kit. My eardrums rejoiced!

·
34,573 Posts
In my old band we used a drummer for about a year who had a heavy metal/prog rock background. We were doing funk/soul stuff and his super tight piccolo snare tone (some 311-endorsed drum he said?) always seemed out of place, but he loved it and was proficient otherwise, so we tolerated it. He also insisted on a huge kit with a literal ton of cymbals...
Yeah, I played with a guy in the ‘70s that was a Billy Cobham fan - so many cymbals...

The best jazz drummer I have worked with also had the smallest kit that I’ve seen - snare, two toms, bass, hat and two cymbals. Great sound.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
Being a piano tuner I do listen to the timbre and pitch of the drums.
Some sound like trash cans and lids.
Reminds me of a band that I was asked to produce back in the 80s

There were great post punk energy but intelligent lyrics with huge following in small clubs and streets busking - a great drummer who was known on the scene for his drum set of cardboard boxes.

They arrived at the studio and I was gobsmacked to see the drummer setting up... a drum kit. He said he borrowed it for the session.

Total disaster, they were signed for that wonderful character sound they had in the clubs and on the street.

So we sent out for some cardboard boxes.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I have an aluminum lobster pot that i modified for use with brushes.
i cut holes where the handles attached and mounted it on a wood base for stability.
I put a PZM mic inside it and actually use it on gigs and jams.
I play it like a snare.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,624 Posts
Have you ever played with a drummer who has all the skills but his or her drum set tone/sound drives you crazy? Particularly the snare.
Only when they slam that snare so hard it feels like a knife going through my ears. I hate that...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,266 Posts
I’ve heard good drummers with bad sounding kits....

A great drummer makes any kit sound good.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Yes, I hate my drummer's snare: it activates every single time I blow my horn, adding a weird shimmer to the sound. I secretly disable it when she's not looking.

·
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,915 Posts
I mean, a jazz drummer with some sort of speed metal snare would be annoying. Otherwise, most of the guys I know who have the chops for the genre are smart enough to understand the dynamics and tone of the genre. I'm sure that I just jinxed myself though.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I mean, a jazz drummer with some sort of speed metal snare would be annoying. Otherwise, most of the guys I know who have the chops for the genre are smart enough to understand the dynamics and tone of the genre. I'm sure that I just jinxed myself though.
Hopefully every member of the band listens and blends.
Most bass players I play with are too loud for my taste which activates the drummer to slam.
At my Tuesday jam I bring the PZM mic/mixer for the acoustic piano and therefore control the volume.
If I have to keep turning up then I mention it to the other rhythm players.
I really don't want to alway play loud on my alto.

·
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,915 Posts
Hopefully every member of the band listens and blends.
Most bass players I play with are too loud for my taste which activates the drummer to slam.
At my Tuesday jam I bring the PZM mic/mixer for the acoustic piano and therefore control the volume.
If I have to keep turning up then I mention it to the other rhythm players.
I really don't want to alway play loud on my alto.
The smart bassists and guitarists step away from their rigs. Bass, in particular, cannot be heard when you're right on top of the amp. My favorite players to work with aren't even flashy. They're just the guys who are smart enough to keep the stage volume down. Amazing things happen to the entirety of the band when that happens.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
The smart bassists and guitarists step away from their rigs. Bass, in particular, cannot be heard when you're right on top of the amp. My favorite players to work with aren't even flashy. They're just the guys who are smart enough to keep the stage volume down. Amazing things happen to the entirety of the band when that happens.
+1

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Too many drummers think a snare drum is just a tinny tomtom. They can have all the technique in the world, but if they don't know pressrolls they're no use to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts