Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have my sax whilst it's getting repaired - but will play it as soon as it comes back; I've only had it about a week so don't know the mouthpiece all that well , I know it sounded incredible - hope I haven't ruined it.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
I don't have my sax whilst it's getting repaired - but will play it as soon as it comes back; I've only had it about a week so don't know the mouthpiece all that well , I know it sounded incredible - hope I haven't ruined it.
Sorry, I missed that you were having it repaired.

If there is a repair, then that will all be fine.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That doesn't look too bad, but photos can't really tell. I did a similar thing with a new philtone mpc. I don't know how, but while putting the ligature with one hand on the mpc, which was already fixed on the neck (argh), I ruined the tip with the lig....
The good thing is: Since you don't know the mouthpiece inside out, you don't feel bad if it sound a tiny bit different, because you can't remember ....
It will play great, I'm sure!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesn't look too bad, but photos can't really tell. I did a similar thing with a new philtone mpc. I don't know how, but while putting the ligature with one hand on the mpc, which was already fixed on the neck (argh), I ruined the tip with the lig....
The good thing is: Since you don't know the mouthpiece inside out, you don't feel bad if it sound a tiny bit different, because you can't remember ....
It will play great, I'm sure!
The photos actually make it look a little worse than it is, I hope your right !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
I know this is 'closing the barn door after the horse got out' but you simply cannot drop a mouthpiece. Any time you open the case, you have to be very methodical about the sax, neck and mouthpiece. When I open a case, the first thing I do is get the strap out and put it on. When I get the sax assembled and on the strap, I get out the mouthpiece which has been in a padded pouch inside the bell (I take it out of the bell and lay the pouch in the case until I get the sax together). While handling the mouthpiece, I am strongly conscious of what I'm doing and what it could hit if I drop it. IOW, over a hard floor I'm super-careful. I feel like my mouthpieces are irreplaceable, therefore priceless. Seriously, on tenor I play an original DG 'King Curtis' - I probably never would find another one as good as the one I have. I hope I sound OCD because if you're not, you're going to drop that wonderful mouthpiece on a concrete floor. Have you ever heard that awful ringing sound of a mouthpiece hitting the floor? Its pretty shocking.

·
14,268 Posts
radler: I assume you tried it after the fall but before you sent it in for repairs. What were the results of that? DAVE

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Phil, thank you- I'll let you know, should add the mouthpiece is incredible.
Dave- sorry my post was a little ambiguous; I left my sax to get repaired today and was walking out with my mouthpiece and reeds to take home and dropped the mouthpiece, I was very deliberate in carrying my mouthpiece seperatley but still managed to drop it.
So now I have a damaged mouthpiece without a sax to test it, won't know until I get it back

·
14,268 Posts
radler: Thanks for the clarification. Maybe you should wait to test the mouthpiece before arranging to have it repaired. As much as I wouldn't like that to happen to any of MY mouthpieces, it may turn out to be playable regardless of that little chip.

If the piece needs to be repaired, then you should probably buy an inexpensive back-up piece (OR another good piece if you can afford it) so you can play the horn while the Phil-Tone is being fixed. DAVE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts