Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that listen to your own music in your car, what jazz tracks do you enjoy listening to when you're driving/cruising around, particularly over long distances?

Or: What jazz tunes do you think best impart that feeling of cruising along a long, empty stretch of road with the top down, or going on a road trip (you know, like in car commercials)?

I ask because I'm trying to expand my "Driving" playlist on my iPod for when I'm driving long distances – which is rather frequent.

For example: Pat Martino's rendition of "Just Friends" really epitomizes "cruising jazz" for me. George Benson's version of "Affirmation" is a close second.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Mozart ! Oops, you said jazz ? I guess Gordon Goodwin's Phat Band might not help one to relax. I think guitar does the job: Wes, John Pizzarelli, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Norman Brown, Benson, you name them. Someone like Diana Krall also brings that relaxed mood. Among saxophones, Getz, specially his brazilian albums, Paul Desmond, Scott Hamilton. As I did more long distance cruising in the past, I used to fill my changer (no iPod by then) with Miles Davis CDs.

·
Registered
577 Posts
How about some old school...maybe the West Side Highway album by Stanley Turrentine with great string and brass orchestrations by Claus Ogerman, and Ron Carter growlin and groovin. One of Stanleys best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Gosh. Stanley ! You're right. "Don't Mess With Mr.T", very moody cruising album by the great Stanley Turrentine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Turrentine's "T-Time" is in my car now - I especially enjoy his take on "Impressions".

Anything Turrentine is excellent.

If I made a radio show, it would be "All tenor, all the time."

·
Registered
127 Posts
lots of bossa nova and samba stuff...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've got Stanley in my car right now too. "Back at the Chicken Shack" is a great cruising CD for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been driving lately with Rh Factor's (Roy Hargrove) Distractions. It's funky but not distracting enough. Perfect tempos for driving.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ive been driving to Mike Stern's 'Who Let the Cats Out' lately...Voices is another good selection. I also like Pat Metheny's early 2000's era stuff for driving.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Before iPod I used to make compilation CDs just for driving. Chris Botti's "Drive Time" wound up on quite a few of them... strange, huh? I like smooth jazz for drive music because it isn't distracting as much as some of the more complex forms that require you to use your brain to fully appreciate. Chris Standring's "Hip Sway" let's you hit a pretty relaxed, yet swinging groove... Nice for scenic drives.. annoying in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Not a 'traditional' jazz guy, but I do love Herbie Hancock's 'Headhunters' and will pull it out on a trip. Mr T's 'Sugar' with the long live version on it is also a favorite. I don't really like Coltrane's 'Impressions' much, but really like Turrentine's version of it here I'd probably play more of Stanley's stuff if I had it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ive been driving to Mike Stern's 'Who Let the Cats Out' lately...Voices is another good selection. I also like Pat Metheny's early 2000's era stuff for driving.
Mike Stern is one of my favorite live show memories. There he is playing up front of Victor Wooten on Bass & Dennis Chambers on drums, and they start to "take off" on him. I mean they really start to take the temp up, and they really start to screw around on him playing stuff far more complex and melodic than the rhythm section tradionally does.

So Mike keeps lookin' back over his shoulder, and the other two are just laughing and laughing. Then Mike looks out at the house and says "These guys are just kickin' my *** tonite!" And everyone starts laughing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Kenny Burrell- Midnight Blue.... love that album.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts