Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm a home roaster ... every couple of weeks I roast a fresh batch. If scientists want to say it'll hold off Alzheimer's or hearing loss or anything else - that's lovely ....... but I'll continue to enjoy my coffee even if scientists say it'll cause my butt to fall off.:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Here's how fresh picked coffee cherries look - inside, the seed makes two coffee beans:

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,580 Posts
My husband has been drinking coffee since childhood. He can't hear worth a crap.
It could be actual hearing loss, selective hearing, or a combination of the two.
Either way I find it necessary to raise my voice more often than not when I need to communicate with him. So much so that I choose not to talk when he's home.
I have nothing of value to say so my silence is golden.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
382 Posts
My husband has been drinking coffee since childhood. He can't hear worth a crap.
It could be actual hearing loss, selective hearing, or a combination of the two.
Either way I find it necessary to raise my voice more often than not when I need to communicate with him. So much so that I choose not to talk when he's home.
Just talk about coffee beans and coffee aromas and coffee refills. It will help. Although my wife thinks a sharp stick in the eye works best against selective hearing loss.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I suspect he just has a wife filter. I know I do...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,401 Posts
Probably because espresso bars are a lot quieter than discos

·
Registered
73 Posts
Magnesium protected against hearing loss due to noise exposure associated with military training. Note the form used: Magnesium aspartate. Pharmacy chains will sell you magnesium oxide, but as little as 5% may be absorbed. Magnesium citrate or gluconate is also recommended. RDA is about 400mg. per day, by the way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am J Otolaryngol 1994 Jan-Feb;15(1):26-32

Oral magnesium intake reduces permanent hearing loss induced by noise exposure.
Attias J, Weisz G, Almog S, Shahar A, Wiener M, Joachims Z, Netzer A, Ising H, Rebentisch E, Guenther T.
Institute of Noise Hazards Research, I.D.F. Medical Corps, Haifa, Israel.

INTRODUCTION: Following animal experiments where correlations were observed between serum magnesium level and noise-induced permanent hearing threshold shifts (NIPTS), we tested the prophylactic effect of magnesium in human subjects exposed to hazardous noise.
METHODS: Subjects were 300 young, healthy, and normal-hearing recruits who underwent 2 months of basic military training. This training necessarily included repeated exposures to high levels of impulse noises while using ear plugs. During this placebo-controlled, double-blind study, each subject received daily an additional drink containing either 6.7 mmol (167 mg) magnesium aspartate or a similar quantity of placebo (Na-aspartate).
RESULTS: NIPTS was significantly more frequent and more severe in the placebo group than in the magnesium group, especially in bilateral damages. NIPTS was negatively correlated to the magnesium content of blood red cells but especially to the magnesium mononuclear cells. Long-term additional intake of a small dose of oral magnesium was not accompanied by any notable side effect.
CONCLUSION: This study may introduce a significant natural agent for the reduction of hearing damages in noise-exposed population.

Publication Types: Clinical Trial Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 8135325

·
Registered
63 Posts
i love how red wine drinkers can site the study that shows that it's good for you. chocolate lovers can site the study that shows chocolate to be good for you. now coffee drinkers have their study. nobody seems to remember the studies that show that for other reasons, those are bad for you.

but keeping one's spirits up is generally a good thing. and if you can do it with coffee, more power to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
While I'll agree that correlation and causation have yet to be connected in this instance... I already have plenty of reasons to continue my joyous three-plus cups a day!

Or 3+ pots a day!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Correlation is not causation.

Show me the mechanism, and I'll consider it a cause and effect relationship. No mechanism? Then it's the same as ice cream consumption and drownings at the beach.
Wait a minute?!?! I shouldn't eat ice cream on the beach?!?!!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts