1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing. I really try to protect my hearing, and this just adds another plus for drinking coffee.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you critique the wording you'll find,
"regularly drinking coffee can lower your risk of hearing loss."
The above is an article ostensibly reporting the results of a research paper. The wording "can," leads the reader to think that coffee caused a lower risk, while not actually saying that. I suggest that you interpret the wording "can" to "might" lower your risk of hearing loss.
From the original paper:
"Coffee consumption was associated with lower risk of disabling hearing impairment in men but not in women."
"Associated with" doesn't mean "caused" the lower risk. It "might" lower the risk, or "might" be associated with other lifestyle or genetic factors predisposing someone with a lower risk of hearing loss to be someone more likely to drink coffee, or other factors.
"Might" wouldn't work as well for a headline designed to get you to click on the article "One Surprising Benefit of Drinking a Cup of Coffee Every Day."
Regardless, being male and going back to finish my coffee, for me the article seeds hope!

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Correlation is not causation.

Show me the mechanism, and I'll consider it a cause and effect relationship. No mechanism? Then it's the same as ice cream consumption and drownings at the beach.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,598 Posts

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
382 Posts
I am doing well with my 5 or 6 double shot lattes everyday. I own the espresso machine. Need to use it. Right?

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's quite easy to have a large sample and arrive at BS conclusions.
Of course: a single study does not make for a scientific consensus. But it's a rigorous start, which will no doubt lead to further investigation, and who knows eh? In the meantime I'll keep my ear-plugs in to prevent the hearing loss and enjoy the coffee for the taste...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts