Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dreaming is hard actually. It's pure chance operation in how it's presented
to us each and every time we fall asleep.
However, lucid dreaming, although the onset cannot be determinant,
once the dreamer realizes their own place in the dream then the actions
within the dream can become determinant. Realization that we have manufactured everything in the dream and can alter it indicate a clue in what consciousness is. Well, that's my thinking.

In this piece I used both determinant and indeterminant (chance operation) composition to
illustrate in an artful abstract way the dream. The solo is a 'synthesized soprano' type sound.

Warning...No real saxophone!

To come up with a subject and then outline the subject with abstract thought using sound is such a complete and fulfilling feeling. There's nothing like it!

Dreaming Is Hard
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1176814&songID=11104094

Feel free.........Good, bad, or indifferent points of view are all equally welcome.
Or merely the subject matter itself is of interest.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Well dreaming up something like this piece would certainly be very hard for me! This is your best composition I've heard so far. I really like it a lot. As you know I've got a critical mind and will be brutally honest whenever given the opportunity (hopefully I'm as honest criticising my own work!).

This is far more rhythmic than most of your work and I really like it. Not sure about the canned drum set at the beginning, but when the other rhythms kick in it's away and running. Fantastic breaks and very lyrical within each section.
the last section has a phrase that reminds me of Freedom Jazz Dance.

OK, there's no sax, who gives a ****. This is great music.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
I like it - don't take this take the wrong way at all please, but it's got an interesting sort of retro sound to it. Brings to mind a surreal landscape. Cinematic and orchestral, contained, with a curious dynamic. Could very easily be used as an early Twilight Zone sound track.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,540 Posts
I agree Marton. I dont think it could be taken in the wrong way. It reminds me of some art and music influenced by the psychoanalytic era. It certainly fits its title.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like it - don't take this take the wrong way at all please, but it's got an interesting sort of retro sound to it. Brings to mind a surreal landscape. Cinematic and orchestral, contained, with a curious dynamic. Could very easily be used as an early Twilight Zone sound track.
Thank you Steven!
I know that you love photography, possibly videography, and music and in that love you've paralled both cinema (optical) and orchestral (auditory) which is a beautiful way to approach a personal analysis. Visual (photography) can stimulate the imaginations eye to hear sound...... And auditory (sound) can stimulate the imaginations eye to see 'sound'. Just beautiful!

Many of my works have been associated with theatre/and or soundtrack. I think that's great!
Besides, I used to be an avid watcher of the Twilight Zone and from time to time I still watch it.
Quite possibly the aura of the show has created a subconscious attachment, among many other things, within myself. I once wrote something entitled 'The Realm of the Unknown' where the intro(monologue) pays homage to Rod Serling. So I take that as a compliment.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree Marton. I dont think it could be taken in the wrong way. It reminds me of some art and music influenced by the psychoanalytic era. It certainly fits its title.
Haha...Art has no boundaries and it's all there for the taking....Isn't that great?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
loved it Mike, very eclectic, I like the interlocking intricate rhythmic patterns. It reminds me a bit of some of the stuff I play in this band (if you go to the Muisc/Ensemble page and listen to say Bersudsky One or Two)

http://www.brianirvine.co.uk/
Hey, thanks very much! It's an honor to be compared to you!
Are you Brian Irvine? I must say I listened to Bersudsky 1,2, and 3. Who does all the writing? Is it a joint effort or do you guys contribute individually?
In any event, this is truly great music. I love what I've heard and there is so much of it! I must have more listens and I mean that sincerely (bookmarked). Your concepts in sound is truly such a refreshing surprise for me.
I wonder why these compositions are not posted on a 'regular' basis? In my opinion, this is important music. As I type this 'In Two Minds' is playing. Why haven't I heard this music before?
Such contrast in modulations. So many levels of elegance! Beautiful!

I certainly do not like comparisons at all. They're unfair....But have you listened to http://www.doctornerve.org/
The leader of Dr. Nerve, Nick Didkovsky (guitarist), has performed on a few of my pieces. Anyway, you do not sound like them, or they you, but it brings them to mind as far as fresh innovative sounds that lie in the background, or undercurrent, as opposed to music which is predominately being spewed out on a regular basis in a forceful manner.

I'm pleasantly humbled to have listened to such great work! I will be checking out more, as well as the video's. You have much to say with sound!
You definitely expose a specific air of class to the often trekked corridors of SOTW!

Thank you!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey, thanks very much! It's an honor to be compared to you!
Are you Brian Irvine? I must say I listened to Bersudsky 1,2, and 3. Who does all the writing? Is it a joint effort or do you guys contribute individually?
In any event, this is truly great music. I love what I've heard and there is so much of it! I must have more listens and I mean that sincerely (bookmarked). Your concepts in sound is truly such a refreshing surprise for me.
I wonder why these compositions are not posted on a 'regular' basis? In my opinion, this is important music. As I type this 'In Two Minds' is playing. Why haven't I heard this music before?
Such contrast in modulations. So many levels of elegance! Beautiful!

I certainly do not like comparisons at all. They're unfair....But have you listened to http://www.doctornerve.org/
The leader of Dr. Nerve, Nick Didkovsky (guitarist), has performed on a few of my pieces. Anyway, you do not sound like them, or they you, but it brings them to mind as far as fresh innovative sounds that lie in the background, or undercurrent, as opposed to music which is predominately being spewed out on a regular basis in a forceful manner.

I'm pleasantly humbled to have listened to such great work! I will be checking out more, as well as the video's. You have much to say with sound!
You definitely expose a specific air of class to the often trekked corridors of SOTW!

Thank you!
Hey Mike, just to be clear I am not Brian, I've just been lucky enough to be involved in some of his projects. As well as the Ensemble stuff Brian is very active as an orchestral and opera composer. I have done bits of writing but nothing compared with Brian's stuff. The Ensemble music is generally tightly written with space for improvisation and in performance the improv sections tend to develop a life of their own. Its always been a band best suited to live performance rather than recorded work. The main soloist on those pieces is Paul Dunmall.

I'll check out Doctor Nerve tomorrow- always nice to be directed to something new, thanks!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, I had no idea. I don't know your name. However, in consolation of my misinterpretation, you do play with these guys and
you're very fortunate to be hooked up with such fine music.

Yeah, I think you may enjoy Dr. Nerve.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Oh, I had no idea. I don't know your name. However, in consolation of my misinterpretation, you do play with these guys and
you're very fortunate to be hooked up with such fine music.

Yeah, I think you may enjoy Dr. Nerve.
Hi Mike, yes I've been very lucky to be involved, we've had some great travelling opportunities through the music.
Just checked out the Dr Nerve videos- heavy stuff for 9am here! Really enjoyed it, I can hear lots of overlaps with some of what we do, the guys are perhaps more guitar- led, a great band, thanks for the link

1 - 20 of 23 Posts