Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Steve, how does that resin feel versus hard rubber? Do you think it’s as durable?

Just posted a review and sound clip of the Drake Phil Woods alto saxophone mouthpiece. This mouthpiece is advertised as "a near identical replica of the mouthpiece Phil Woods played for 40 years". Phil Woods played a vintage NY Meyer USA alto mouthpiece and sounded amazing on it! Check out the review for more information!

https://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2019...ster-series-alto-saxophone-mouthpiece-review/

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts
Steve, how does that resin feel versus hard rubber? Do you think it’s as durable?
It seems very durable. I wouldn't want to drop it on a concrete floor but I wouldn't want to do that with hard rubber either. The material is not like plastic like the SYOS pieces or Saxscape. Those look and feel like plastic. The Drake pieces seem like hard rubber to me although they are not.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just got one of these used, a 5 (.73”) facing. Very responsive and full sounding with great projection, very reed friendly, works great with Java 3 reeds, so far its a great addition to my collection, and like most of my favorites, plays rings around current stock Meyers. Very pleased, kudos to Aaron Drake for making these available!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
It seems very durable. I wouldn't want to drop it on a concrete floor but I wouldn't want to do that with hard rubber either. The material is not like plastic like the SYOS pieces or Saxscape. Those look and feel like plastic. The Drake pieces seem like hard rubber to me although they are not.
Saxscape mouthpieces are made out of Delrin a high performance acetal resin made by Dupont that is also used by Lamberson in his white pieces like the one you are playing in your avatar, as well as the older Runyon Quantum pieces. What the surface looks like is a matter of finishing. I gather Ken Barry considers price more important than appearance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Saxscape mouthpieces are made out of Saxscape mouthpieces are made out of Delrin a high performance acetal resin made by Dupont that is also used by Lamberson in his white pieces like the one you are playing in your avatar, as well as the older Runyon Quantum pieces. What the surface looks like is a matter of finishing. I gather Ken Barry considers price more important than appearance.
Completely off subject but as you mentioned Dupont, there’s an interesting documentary on John Dupont airing on Netflix.
It’s called Team Foxcatcher.

·
4,121 Posts
Delrin is chip proof but it can dent.
As can many metals.

Does Delrin come in different grades? We used a lot of Delrin in trade show manufacturing and the stuff we used was relatively soft.
Do you mean acetal or Delrin? The latter proprietary of DuPont and used for its resilience to replace metal.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How does the discussion about mouthpiece materials relate to the subject at hand? This thread is about a specific manufacture’s specific mouthpiece, and really has nothing to do with the specific materials under discussion here, isn’t there a better place for this discussion? Possibly one where people specifically interested in it could find it easily?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
How does the discussion about mouthpiece materials relate to the subject at hand? This thread is about a specific manufacture’s specific mouthpiece, and really has nothing to do with the specific materials under discussion here, isn’t there a better place for this discussion? Possibly one where people specifically interested in it could find it easily?
What's the matter, reading comprehension not your strong suit? While the subject was about Drakes "Meyer" style mouthpiece, it was brought up by Daviderato that these are made of resin and not hard rubber. Hence the discussion about materials.

So, now that we've been routed back on topic let's talk about Drake's new "Meyer" style mouthpiece. It's wonderful! Just like Theo Wanne's, Phil barone's, 10M Fan's, and just about everyone else that has made their version of a Meyer. Except J.J. Babbitt, their Meyers all suck, blah, blah, blah... There, I think I covered it all.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Particularly since Drake doesn’t manufacture anything using Delrin I feel this digression is so off topic as to be better assigned elsewhere, I resent your casting aspersions on my reading comprehension, and really don’t care to communicate with you further, on any subject, thank you.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
What's the matter, reading comprehension not your strong suit? While the subject was about Drakes "Meyer" style mouthpiece, it was brought up by Daviderato that these are made of resin and not hard rubber. Hence the discussion about materials.

So, now that we've been routed back on topic let's talk about Drake's new "Meyer" style mouthpiece. It's wonderful! Just like Theo Wanne's, Phil barone's, 10M Fan's, and just about everyone else that has made their version of a Meyer. Except J.J. Babbitt, their Meyers all suck, blah, blah, blah... There, I think I covered it all.

What in the....? Look, I know we all have bad days, but geez. Why?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What in the....? Look, I know we all have bad days, but geez. Why?
Not having a bad day at all. I was simply giving feedback after having been reprimanded for being off topic! Sorry if I offended, but I don't like being talked down to either. I just stated the fact that the discussion of materials WAS related to this topic because the MP in question is made of resin as stated in post #3. And then I offered up my opinion that like many others this thread will end up trashing ("plays rings around current stock Meyers") the only company that is actually licensed to make Meyer mouthpieces. But hey! If you guys want to take your toys and go home I'm OK with that. I'll be sure never to stray off topic again.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I didn’t see anything that I felt was anyone talking down to you. Valid point about this thread being intended to discuss the mouthpiece mentioned, I’ve seen threads moderated for being off topic before. Seems like you over reacted.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Not that anyone has asked, but to give more insight into my review above, some of the other Meyer “copies” I like are Aizen, Pillinger, Mouthpiece Cafe and Morgan ML chamber. Ones I dislike are Retro Revival, Marantz, Theo Wanne Bros (series 1)and Morgan Fry.

·
4,121 Posts
Valid point about this thread being intended to discuss the mouthpiece mentioned, I’ve seen threads moderated for being off topic before.
With all due respect, The Drake resin was being compared to that of Saxscape by a previous poster, so I disagree that it was off topic to discuss. I do agree that there is no need for confrontation.

"Resin" versus "plastic" is more or less just semantics. Either way, it appears to be broad terms for materials manufactured from hydrocarbons. "Vintage resin" is surely just a sales pun and I am saying this without having anything against Drake mouthpieces, quite the opposite. From the description, it doesn't even appear to be pure resin, as it is mixture of resin (plastic) with ground ceramic material akin to Pillinger mouthpieces, including the PPTs designed with Pete Thomas. No doubt that they will be hard wearing and last forever if treated properly. Moreover, they appear to be molded rather than milled. In this respect, they will be less like hard rubber than Saxscape, Lamberson, and Ponzol Delrin pieces. No bar stock as starting material.

Lots of resin mouthpieces these days. Klum, Gerber, and RPC are others that come to mind. All will be superior to hard rubber in terms of durability and ease of cleansing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts