Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new tenor mouthpiece and I'm having trouble deciding between a Drake Studio and a Drake NY Jazz. Anyone that has played both care to share their thoughts of the two and how they differ? My current tenor mouthpiece is a Morgan 5L. I still like it but want something with more punch and a little brighter. I don't want something really bright, just brighter if that makes sense.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have played a Drake Christlieb 110. Awesome piece, full and bright, super easy response and takes a lot of air. The profile is very small, it holds a Rovner ligature in the Guardala size, so it feels really small in your mouth - which I like. Best, TSax80.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
The Drake NY is something like a Florida Link with a slight different design of the last part of the floor slope.

The Studio is a combination of element of differen Guardala mouthpiece: very long high baffle (kind of Guardala King baffle) with an open chamber (like a MB-II).

So...
There's a huge difference.,

Drake has mouthpiece that are in between the NY Jazz and Studio, in terms of brightness: the Contemporary (former Contemporary I) and the Boney James (former Contemporary II).

All mouthpiece are not available in a 0,085ish" tip opening like a Morgan 5L...
So hard to make comparison.

Probably even a Morgan Jazz with a tip opening around #7* will much punchier and brighter.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Maybe try a Morgan Excalibur 5M. That should be a brighter, punchier piece than the Morgan Jazz pieces.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
Or even try a Morgan Jazz M chamber to brighten the tone and add punch. The L chamber can be pretty dark on tenor. Junkdude will even send you one for trial before purchase.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Drake NY is something like a Florida Link with a slight different design of the last part of the floor slope.

The Studio is a combination of element of differen Guardala mouthpiece: very long high baffle (kind of Guardala King baffle) with an open chamber (like a MB-II).

So...
There's a huge difference.,

Drake has mouthpiece that are in between the NY Jazz and Studio, in terms of brightness: the Contemporary (former Contemporary I) and the Boney James (former Contemporary II).

All mouthpiece are not available in a 0,085ish" tip opening like a Morgan 5L...
So hard to make comparison.

Probably even a Morgan Jazz with a tip opening around #7* will much punchier and brighter.
I know Tzadik and I have both responded to Drake recommendation threads before. Tzadik and I have had a bit of a different experience. I own or have owned the Studio, the NY Jazz, the Contemporary I and Contemporary II. I find both Contemporary pieces to be brighter than the Studio. To me, the NY Jazz and Studio are similar in terms of brightness but the Studio has more of a dynamic range and is more free blowing. That is not to say the Studio is a paint peeler, just that it allows one to project more. Because I do not find the studio to be bright, it never gets shrill like some of the Guardala type pieces I have played. To me the Studio is not nearly as bright as a Guardala King or Super King. I ended up selling the NY Jazz because for me it just did not seem as rich as some of the other Drake pieces I own. The Studio is more colorful than the NY Jazz to my ears. The Studio remains one of my favorites and it is the piece I am now most often playing. Just know that it is very free blowing and you may need to go up a half reed strength. I do not discount Tzadik's opinion, he know what he is talking about, I just want to let you know that you really need to try the pieces to see how your playing style and embouchure match with the piece. you may have a different experience to me and Tzadik.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
The NY Jazz and the Studio come from a similar "blank" (the Studio is slimmer, fits a clarinet lig).
Medium beak height, standard table angle (standard = like a metal Link)

The Jazz, the Jazz with the Ceramic Chamber, the Contemporary I & II are made a different blank.
These have a much lower beak (more like a Guadarla metal piece) and the table has more inclination.

This has to deal with the embouchure and the air flow.

https://www.facebook.com/509654555758777/photos/?tab=album&album_id=524186807638885

The Studio has not the "ring" restriction in the chamber (nor the baffle height) of a Guardala King.
Sounds a little bit tighter than the Contemporaries (now "Contemporary" and "Boney James").

After this... it's a matter of how you play and at what level of dynamics you use to play.
You can look for the brightness also in not "extremely bright" (or contemporary) mouthpieces.
And, as well, you can also make a bright mouthpiece to sound less bright than it has been designed for.
With flexible pieces (like all the Drake listed here), you can do whatever you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts