Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a drake studio hr mouthpiece for tenor. Anyone have experience playing one?

·
Registered
957 Posts
This is my go to piece for louder playing situations. It is made of resin, not hard rubber. It has a narrow profile more like a metal piece in mouth feel. The large baffle gives it plenty of volume but the piece is not overly bright. I find it to be in the middle, not too bright or too dark. I have also backed off and used this piece to play in situations where I do not need the volume and I still get a rich tone. The altissimo is easier on this piece than on some others I have. Overall, a great piece and could easily by the one piece you own for all situations. The only reason I do not use it all the time is that I like to try out other pieces and switch from time to time but I always come back to the Studio.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is my go to piece for louder playing situations. It is made of resin, not hard rubber. It has a narrow profile more like a metal piece in mouth feel. The large baffle gives it plenty of volume but the piece is not overly bright. I find it to be in the middle, not too bright or too dark. I have also backed off and used this piece to play in situations where I do not need the volume and I still get a rich tone. The altissimo is easier on this piece than on some others I have. Overall, a great piece and could easily by the one piece you own for all situations. The only reason I do not use it all the time is that I like to try out other pieces and switch from time to time but I always come back to the Studio.
Jswers. Do they still make the Resin Model or just the HR? Altissimo is easier....Ill take 2!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Jswers. Do they still make the Resin Model or just the HR? Altissimo is easier....Ill take 2!
I think he only makes resin and only has ever made resin with or without a ceramic core or metal. As far as I know Drake does not make a hard rubber piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/509654555758777/photos/?tab=album&album_id=631782343545997

It's one of the brightest Drake's in the catalogo, follewed by the "Boney James" (former "Contemporary II": https://www.facebook.com/509654555758777/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1271375949586630) and the "Contemporary" (former "Contemporary I": https://www.facebook.com/509654555758777/photos/?tab=album&album_id=547978885259677)

The Contemporary'es and the Studio have a different degree of brightness.

The Contemporary'es feature a much large chamber and a more traditional design for the baffle and the transition from the baffle to the chamber... they are more like Guardala MB inspired pieces.

The Studio is something beyond.
The Studio fits a smaller alto ligature or even better a soprano clarinet ligature.
The ring doesn't work at all...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks Tzadik and jswers for you detailed account of these pieces! I know we all feel and hear things a bit differently and I've been reading your posts trying to zero in on what I'd like to try next. I just purchased the NY Jazz Metal and it's fantastic - incredibly flexible piece. It's a do-all, go-anywhere type of piece and I do love it's sound. However, based on accounts of the non-metal NYJT, I thought it would be a bit brighter/edgier. But then after reading the thread below, it seems the resin is brighter by design.

I'm looking into something with just a bit more edge and brightness, but generally do not like step baffles. Based on the thread, it appears that he would rank the Studio darker than the Contemporary I and II (unlike the Guardala offerings where the Studio is brighter than the MB I & II).

Also, I've seen different accounts of the NY Jazz vs the Jazz and which is brighter. Right now, if I'm to go by Aaron's ranking, the 4 up for consideration in order of increasing brightness: The resin NY Jazz (probably too close to the metal?), The Jazz, Studio, and NYJT H Metal.

jswers...I think I read somewhere that you had the original NYJT H Metal and thought it was very close to the Studio? Do you remember them enough to provide any additional detail?

Thanks again...very much appreciate the insights you bring.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...e-from-Mouthpiece-Craftsman-Aaron-Drake/page2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts