Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has tried the Aaron Drake - Reso Chamber mpc, please share your impression!
Thank you

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
These are awesome pieces. Best reso chamber-like piece I've played. Big and robust sound with a perfectly balanced level of darkness, I would definitely recommend trying one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had one of the very first made: https://www.facebook.com/509654555758777/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1271505966240295

Very dark mouthpiece but still "alive".
Works fine on normal bore horns that have a good focus and a correct amount of brightness.

On my horn (R1 Jazz), the Reso sounds way too big and beafy... I had a Reso #8*, probably for this kind of mouthpiece a #7* would have been a better choice.
Thank you all for your feedback! Tzadik, do you think it would be a nice match with a Conn New Wonder?

·
4,680 Posts
Thank you all for your feedback! Tzadik, do you think it would be a nice match with a Conn New Wonder?
I haven't tried the Drake Reso, but I do have one of his discontinued metal "Stubbie" models which has a large chamber like
an old NY Link Tonemaster, and .. I play it on a Conn NW II(also the Pan American tenor equivalents which I find to be
extremely similar in sound) and.. it sounds great !

The original Link Reso Chamber was supposed to be the hard rubber equivalent of the NY Tonemaster so on that basis I
would say yeah, it would be a great match .. the Drake Reso and your New Wonder .

·
1,988 Posts
I think a Drake Reso on a New Wonder I... may be way too dark!

The Reso is popular these days because Ben Wender uses one Reso...
... but it's a refaced Reso with quite a lot material near the tip (according the sound Ben produces with a D'Addario Select Jazz #3M filed).

The Drake Reso is a "pure" Reso: there is a baffle, but it's low and near the tip it's plenty of free space... so very dark.

Try the "Slant Replica" from Aaron... it's called now "Bergonzi Slant" (the old "Bergonzi EB" is brighter with a great punch... like a real EB should have to be!).
Or the new "Stubbie" (which is now made in resin... and it's still dark).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I think the Drake Reso would be a very good match for an early Conn Tenor.
Yes it’s a darker piece on a somewhat dark toned horn, but that’s why it would work.
You can add a little brightness through reed choice if you desire.
Also by pushing air through at a faster rate.
These pieces are by no means tubby.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Being a huge fan of Ben Wendel and having played Aaron’s Son of Slant before I was crazy about the Reso when he announced it. And it is a pretty niece piece that I could voice to be really bright in the upper register and it was nice and dark in the lower. However I play a Martin Committee III which is rather dark and a little spread - no Selmer focus - and I just ended up playing the more controlled and „tight“ Acoustimer II by Ted Klum. Sold the Reso last week. But it is an awesome piece if you have a more focused horn and like the sound - one of the best I‘ve played.
Here I’m playing it on a gig https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9jy0TIFBeDY

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being a huge fan of Ben Wendel and having played Aaron’s Son of Slant before I was crazy about the Reso when he announced it. And it is a pretty niece piece that I could voice to be really bright in the upper register and it was nice and dark in the lower. However I play a Martin Committee III which is rather dark and a little spread - no Selmer focus - and I just ended up playing the more controlled and „tight“ Acoustimer II by Ted Klum. Sold the Reso last week. But it is an awesome piece if you have a more focused horn and like the sound - one of the best I‘ve played.
Here I’m playing it on a gig https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9jy0TIFBeDY
Nice playing and sound, thank you very much!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts