Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard great things about Drake alto mouthpieces, rarely any flaws about them in reviews I've seen. If anyone owns a Drake mouthpiece or has experience with one, please reply below. I am looking into buying one and I don't know a lot about them. Thanks!
-Nick

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hello Nick,
I would think about your sound conception first. In my experience i have used a Drake Ny for a year or so, but i wanted something darker so i changed for a Philtone Solstice after trying three philtone pieces. The Drake Ny have some bright edge which can make it very versatile for funk, jazz, lead alto. Very freeblowing, reed friendly and easy to play.
So it depends on you. What's your actual mouthpiece?
I have one Drake for sale, as well as some philtone pieces, if you are interested. I live in Spain.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My experience with Drake pieces (one sop Son of Slant, one Tenor Son of Slant) has been excellent. His soprano piece is exceptionally warm and accurate on my yani 901!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Aaron Drake is producing great mpcs. Very freeblowing with good sound. I have several of his mpcs in different sizes and every single one of these is playing great. But you should try before you buy. What one person likes doesn't have to work for another person.
For me these outplay many other mpcs on the market.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
No experience on alto, but on soprano I found my little happiness with a Son of Slant: it's just the sound I always looked for in my soprano (with the player being the obvious bottleneck).

The only defect I found in the mouthpiece is that it's smaller than a typical hard rubber mouthpiece while not being as slim as a metal one. My choice of ligature, not liking Rovner dark, was an obligation, as I only found the Rovner Versa to fit...

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am a jazz player who has been playing a Drake 'Son of Slant' tenor ( 7*, medium chamber) for the past 3 years and I love it. Aaron Drake actually sent me 3 mp's with different tip-openings and chamber sizes to try out side-by-side, before deciding on my purchase. The only down side for me is the Drake custom ligature that comes with the mouthpiece - in my experience it was difficult to adjust the reed position and the ligature tended to occasionally slip. Due to the geometry of the 'Son of Slant" none of the off-the-shelf- ligatures fit the mouthpiece, so I had a custom ligature made by Marc Jean (http://www.musiquedemarc.com). Marc Jean seems to have the measurements for a variety of mouthpieces including the 'Son of Slant'. For me this mouthpiece/ligature combination is superb.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have the NY Jazz alto piece and it is excellent. However, most of my experience is with Drake tenor pieces. I love Drake pieces. They are all playable but some I like better than others. My favorites are the resin Jazz tenor, the Son of Slant large chamber tenor, the Studio tenor, and the Pete Christlieb piece. The Jazz has a vintage sound like a good link, the Son of Slant is a little brighter but not too bright. The Studio is very powerful and on the brighter side but not too bright. The Christlieb piece is fantastic. It can be loud and modern or old and dark depending on how you blow. Really great stuff.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have the NY Jazz alto piece and it is excellent. However, most of my experience is with Drake tenor pieces. I love Drake pieces. They are all playable but some I like better than others. My favorites are the resin Jazz tenor, the Son of Slant large chamber tenor, the Studio tenor, and the Pete Christlieb piece. The Jazz has a vintage sound like a good link, the Son of Slant is a little brighter but not too bright. The Studio is very powerful and on the brighter side but not too bright. The Christlieb piece is fantastic. It can be loud and modern or old and dark depending on how you blow. Really great stuff.
Yeah the Jazz Tenor is a great mpc and i like both Son of Slant mpcs but the Christlieb is really fantastic. The only thing i am not a big fan of is the small size, it feels too small in my mouth. Would it have the same size as the others, wow, that would be great. Soundwise it is one of the best mpcs i ever had.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I tried the NY Tenor, the Son of Slant Large Chamber. I currently own a Legends Charlie Parker mpc that Drake worked on when he had the relationship with RS Berkley. My impression is his pieces are extremely well made and finished, and are easy to play. I would say they are on the more free blowing side (not to say that they have no resistance, only that they tend to feel easier to play than other pieces with comparable designs). Brighter/darker is subjective, but I feel they do have great presence and a lot of response.

As with all pieces, it's best to be able to just try it, but they're definitely excellent mouthpieces. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for, you can always email him and they can probably adjust something to fit - but this is a custom order and non-returnable, so I would definitely try out his standard models first if you can.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unbelievable mouthpieces........... I own the Drake contemporary for my alto and is outstanding compared to anything I have ever played. I also own the Drake Jazz soprano mouthpiece that is also outstanding. This company is the Bomb! WOW! Try one and or send it back is the guarantee. Get er done! ASAP

·
Registered
116 Posts
I owned the NY Jazz Alto. It played great and looked perfect, yet for me it was too freeblowing and the sound had something in it I personally didn't like. Sold it and now I'm very happy with my Phil-Tone Meyer. I love my Drake SOS on soprano though. If you like the sound and are comfortable with the freeblowing nature of this pieces, then go for it. In the end it's just a matter of personal preferences.

·
Registered
893 Posts
When i saw/heard some play on the alto pieces on youtube it sounded great. When i bought one (online) i was disappointed by how it sounded by me.
Before you buy try them first that would save you a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm very happy with my two Son of Slant soprano pieces (#7 & 8). Aaron is a pretty low-key type of seller - you won't see CAPS LOCK anywhere on his website, nor does he post here to pitch his goods - he simply lets the pieces speak for themselves. His prices are much, much more reasonable than the other current makers as well. I think that right now only Aaron and Benjamin Allen are selling pieces for what they should, i.e., for reasonable prices. And Aaron has a generous trial policy (I think Ben does as well) of 30 days.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I think that right now only Aaron and Ben Allen are selling pieces for what they should, i.e., for reasonable prices. And Aaron has a generous trial policy (I think Ben does as well) of 30 days.
We should include Phil-Tone and Mouthpiece Cafe with those two. Sorry for the hijack...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts