Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start a thread dedicated to the new mouthpieces by Aaron Drake. It would be nice to have some concentrated feed back going around on some of his pieces. I have personally come across many of his pieces that he no longer has on his site and it can get rather confusing about what they are. Also he offers his mouthpieces in diffrenct chamber configurations but they do not seemed to be marked on their box one way or the other. I do not want to sound negative at all because he dose to really nice work on all of the pieces I have played, it does get rather difficult to tell what is what with some of his products.

Looking forward to seeing what others think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
welcome to SOTW. The search function works pretty well here. Look around there has been plenty of talk about many of the Drake mpcs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There has been some, there does not seem to be anyone one talking about the different chamber configurations.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
There has been some, there does not seem to be anyone one talking about the different chamber configurations.
You mean baffle configurations?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
all I can say is I'm VERY happy with my mouthpiece collection.... after trying the Stan Getz I WANT ONE!!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
To the OP. If you have anything to add (analysis, pics, descriptions, etc...) you may wish to submit it to - mouthpiecemuseum.com

Drake is using baffles and chambers and windows and facings and the like in a similar manner to the great makers before them.

The most profound differences appear to be in his use of ceramics and the integration of the materials (like the ceramic resonating ring).

That said. I have never tried a Drake or lookec closely at one. This is only something I have gotten directly from the site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drake offers some of his mouthpieces with different chamber sizes, even pieces with a ceramic ring in the chamber like swampcabbage was talking about. Those are the ones that David Liebmam is currently playing on soprano. The Getz pieces are a lot of fun to play if you like the really dark sound. In any case Drake is doing some very cool things with his work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had never heard of or tried Drake Mouthpieces until NAMM in January this year & was blown away by them! I'm not one to change up my setup. My thinking has always been that you find what works for you & stick with it. If you're having a problem with something (intonation, poor sound quality, etc.) it's probably you & not the mouthpiece! I was so impressed with them however, that I purchased the Son of Slant model for tenor (8L) at the NAMM Show & have since become a Drake endorser & am playing them on tenor, baritone, alto & soprano. My baritone mouthpiece is the Contemporary Rollover model (.125 tip opening). Alto - NY Jazz (7). Soprano - Son of Slant (7). All of them are killer pieces - great intonation, tone, dynamic range, altissimo speaks very well, etc.

Do yourself a favor & give them a try!

http://www.drakemouthpieces.com/Jason_Weber.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
Drake´s Tenor NY Jazz #8 is one of my main pieces. Like said before: great intonation and altissimo, easy speaking and a fun to play on my two tenors - Borgani Jubilee and YTS 82z ul.
(The other piece is Eric Falcon´s modified Link TM NY, which he did for Warburton)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yep,
I got one after I tried it :lick:
I'm curious, not suggesting that you want to sound like Getz (though who wouldn't), but do you think that that mouthpiece delivers a more "Getz" type of sound? Does it deliver (what it sort of promises)?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I'm curious, not suggesting that you want to sound like Getz (though who wouldn't), but do you think that that mouthpiece delivers a more "Getz" type of sound? Does it deliver (what it sort of promises)?
It didn't for me. However I tried a 7* with a fairly soft reed I had played on a number of different mouthpieces so it may not be fair to judge. I suspect the sound that I associate with Getz comes easier with a small tip hard reed combo so YMMV. That being said the mouthpiece played beautifully as all the Drakes I've tried have. Their facing work is fantastic but they all sound very bright to me.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I hear there's a dentist that's come out with a replica set of false teeth modeled after Stan Getz' teeth. Coupled with the Drake replica Getz mouthpiece it's a sure thing for achieving that true Getz sound....

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I am now an authorized dealer for Legends Series mouthpieces in Europe....anyone on this side of the pond wants to check them out give me a holler.....

The Getz Legend (i play a 7*) is one of the most concentrated sounding and playing HR pieces ive tried...the only other comparable piece ive tried is a Brilhart HR,and the Getz is louder so i tend to take it as first choice (for rubber) into louder settings.... YES what i just said had NOTHING to do with Stan Getz...it DID have to do with the Stan Getz Legen mouthpiece by Aaoron Drake......

the Charlie Parker alto mouthpiece is also excellent.....If you want to sound like Bird that is ;) just kidding...it's just a great playing piece....

I'm very proud to promote these pieces as I have been already been saying for over a year how great Aaron Drake's stuff is...he has from my experience the best rubber on the market,it's his own patented invention.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts