Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Drake Studio ,Contemporary HR and his latest GP Metal MP . The Studio reminded me of the silver plated Guardala MB2 I played in the 90s but warmer and was just on it with the early Brecker sound . The contemporary was like my fat boy MB1 and had a real complex sound and was not sucked in to one type of thing ... It was very versatile with great bottom and harmonics. You could play this and get your contemporary sound. Its not going to push you in one direction. Very versatile and complex.... The metal reminded me so much of a great link with just a little more baffle. Just a great modern jazz MP. Pointed fat and lush with a large chamber aesthetic.

I'm not on the pay roll. I really don't care but give credit to a guy who is a great player making a players MP. I just talked to the guy on the phone and gave him a CC. I may sell these at one point on my site but it is not a top priority to me. Players are getting raped with high prices and substandard equipment propped up with hype. This is an example of a great product with time and thought behind it. Mr. Drake is a Virtuoso player and is dialing in each MP from a players perspective. The prices are player friendly and his work is world class. Check him out . He is also every nice person... Just my take ...www.drakemouthpieces.com

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.drakemouthpieces.com/Drake_Metal_Mouthpieces.html

This latest addition to our product line up represents a culmination of our most innovative acoustic designs. These mouthpieces are handmade from beginning to end at our production facility in Plainfield, NJ - no aspect of fabrication is outsourced.
Aaron Drake has developed an innovative manufacturing process where by each mouthpiece is created from a one piece casting. This amazing forging process is currently patent pending.
Each mouthpiece is finished with your choice of a Polished Silver finish or 24 karat gold plating.
Our goal in these designs has been to achieve a balance of the essential design elements. Each piece is precision hand faced and finished with great attention and care to detail. We are currently offering this model for tenor in a rollover baffle contour and a unique rollover step baffle. Each piece includes a rovner cap and ligature.

ORDERS FOR METAL MOUTHPIECES MAY TAKE 3-5 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY

Drake Metal NY Jazz Tenor H – MNYJT H (pictured below)
This model features a high rollover baffle, moderately undercut side walls, and a long gradual floor transition to a large chamber. The window has been lengthened and made wider to capture a maximum resonance from the reed vibration. You will find this model posses great projection, versatility and timbre flexibility. Great for Jazz, R&B, Funk, etc…

-Includes Drake Ligature
Retail: $495.00 (Polished Silver) $535.00 ( 24K Gold Plate)

Here is a clip of Aaron on the 8 .110" w/ LaVoz Med and 78,000 Mark VI:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi Rich.
I now play a drake on Alto. A few months ago I found a Drake main dealer in the U.K. (Wessex Music) They had a very large selection of Drakes for both Alto and Tenor. I have to say that I am very impressed with the Drake line, inc, Son of slant and the New York Jazz Tenor mouthpieces. I played the Contemporary Alto, Its not my cup of tea ... but it did make me Smile rather than go, YUK!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I play a Son of Slant on soprano and I'm very happy with it, but I hesitate trying one on my The Martin Tenor. Any experiences here on that combination? I fear the horn could lose too much of it's characteristics with Drake pieces on it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking of including a HR Drake with each m40 and m58 tenor as a bonus. If you buy from Viking . What would be the best size and most desirable MP?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Rich,

I have been playing Drake mouthpieces for some time now and they are killer. Aaron Drake and his wife are the nicest people you could ever meet. I use the contemporary models #8. The only problem I have is when I lend them to my friends, I never get them back. They always end up buying them from me. I just call Aaron and he sends me another one. His quality control is top notch and I never got a bad one. Now I just give my buddies a Drake brochure and they can order one on their own.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys, I'm def a fan. I picked one up (Son of Slant 7L) at the beginning of this month and I really dig it. I'm using it on a Super 20 Tenor right now and it's pretty killin. I prefer a darker sound, but there are some nice upper partials that come out with this mpc/horn combo that I like. On top of that, you can really play in all registers all over the horn...really easy to play. On top of playability, the piece looks great...tip and rails nice and even and thin, some really great chamber work, and some really nice looking sidewalls! I'm using a stock Selmer HR lig that I play on all of my horns...it came with his own lig and it def has its own sound, I'm just stuck on the Selmer stuff. Anybody else with a SOL?
-DT

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Viking M40 Acoustic Balance with
Drake Metal NY Jazz Tenor H – MNYJT H I enjoy playing this piece..

http://youtu.be/Qq4Ng4qappA

Drake Metal Mouthpieces
From his website...

This latest addition to our product line up represents a culmination of our most innovative acoustic designs. These mouthpieces are handmade from beginning to end at our production facility in Plainfield, NJ - no aspect of fabrication is outsourced.
Aaron Drake has developed an innovative manufacturing process where by each mouthpiece is created from a one piece casting. This amazing forging process is currently patent pending.
Each mouthpiece is finished with your choice of a Polished Silver finish or 24 karat gold plating.
Our goal in these designs has been to achieve a balance of the essential design elements. Each piece is precision hand faced and finished with great attention and care to detail. We are currently offering this model for tenor in a rollover baffle contour and a unique rollover step baffle. Each piece includes a rovner cap and ligature.

This model features a high rollover baffle, moderately undercut side walls, and a long gradual floor transition to a large chamber. The window has been lengthened and made wider to capture a maximum resonance from the reed vibration. You will find this model posses great projection, versatility and timbre flexibility. Great for Jazz, R&B, Funk, etc…

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
+1 for Drake, I play a soprano piece that is wonderful from top to bottom.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Viking M40 Acoustic Balance with
Drake Metal NY Jazz Tenor H – MNYJT H I enjoy playing this piece..

http://youtu.be/Qq4Ng4qappA

Drake Metal Mouthpieces
From his website...

Great sound and playing. Not as bright as I would have thought.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks... This whole horn mouth piece thing is a journey ..... It never ends!!! I'm still working it out. my first tenor piece was a hand me down from my dad.. Brillhart level air 5*, Dukoff d7 ,lakey 6, Dukoff d8 ,s8,another s8 Gaurdala brecker II that sucked royally. then a Brecker fat boy1 that was good but not great.Guardala was an *** ... Durgda theo , Sugal KW ii that was very good then this Jody jazz DV that has some good things.. Now a Drake large chamber NY ..the drake is very much like a great link with a baffle . 30 years f Mpcs and I'm enjoying it all.. But at the end and very tired... This piece has a very nice vibe different from the ad.... No hype try it.. Very good!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
Great playing Rich!
You certainly know your way around.

Looking at that baffle I also expected it to sound much brighter.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I now own a Alto Drake DRJA 5 mpc, a Sop Drake DRJS 6 mpc, and a Tenor Drake Son of Slant 7 mpc all w/ Double Rail Vintage Resin Ligatures. Although the alto and sop mpc's are discountinued models they are still the bomb. I get all kinds of compliments for all three models. They all produce a nice fat warm tone but get the just the right amount of edginess when you push them.

I use Gonzales 2.5 reeds. I am happy with these mpc's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts