Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently played a number of Aaron Drake's mouthpieces (always really fun to experiment, compare, etc.). I made a comparison video, which I'm hoping will be useful to any forum goers on the mouthpiece hunt, and I also wrote a review. Here's the video:

And here is the review: https://everythingsaxophone.blogspot.com/2019/01/review-aaron-drake-mouthpieces.html

My personal favorites were the NY Jazz and Reso models, but I could see these mouthpieces fitting various players.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Roger. It was funny because I was thinking about going for a darker sound when I was trying the mouthpieces, so I didn’t pay much attention to the NY. Then, later when I was thinking about going back to a Florida Link, I listened back to the NY and though it sounded really nice.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Great video! Thank you for doing this.

I think Aaron Drake makes great pieces. You sound great on all of them but I liked your sound on the Reso best. I currently own many Drake pieces (Son of Slant large chamber, Studio, Jazz, Johnny Griffin model, Contemporary I, Contemporary II, Reso, Pete Christlieb, Bergonzi EB). The only Drake tenor pieces I have sold are the NY Jazz, Bergonzi Slant, and the Stan Getz model. I found the NY Jazz to sound very one dimensional compared to his other pieces when I played it. I also found the Bergonzi Slant to be kind of dull compared to his other pieces, it just did not resonate well to me. I much prefer the Son of Slant large chambered piece (I have never tried the Son of Slant medium chambered) and the Jazz (note, not NY Jazz, his names can be confusing). His Studio model is fantastic and is probably my favorite of the lot. I have the Reso piece and I do not get nearly the rich, thick sound that you get. Obviously, a lot depends on the player but I find Drake pieces to be far easier to play than some other pieces currently on the market, especially in terms of ease of altissimo and in dynamic range.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You sound terrific on all of them. Congrats.
I would say that you sound almost identical on all of them except the NY Jazz. I prefer the Reso and the SoS.
Thanks!
BTW which reed works best for you on the Drake pieces? I prefer the Lavoz MH.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds great, thanks for sharing.

The differences are quite subtle to my ears, I liked the NY and the Slant best I think over the slightly darker pieces (the Reso and Bergonzi). They all sounded great though. Cheers

P.S. Is that an SBA you're playing?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You sound wicked on that NY Jazz. Which to me is crazy because I couldn't get it to work for me at all.
Thanks! I wonder if the reed ligature and reed you were using played a role in it not working for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts