Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have a Drake NY H and used to have a Jody Jazz DV - I prefer the Drake, rounder, smoother overall sound (not as much buzz) but still has lots of volume, will cut through a loud group and has great tone. The thing I like best about the Drake is it can by played smooth and smokey, great low end, I couldn't get that type of sound out of the JJ.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Prefer the Drake. Not quite as loud, perhaps, but far more tone colour. An ideal all-round piece for big venues and playing with very loud bands. Drake makes the best mouthpieces I have yet to find, on alto and soprano too.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have both the DRAKE metal H and the Jody Jazz DV. I prefer the Drake for the same reasons as Andrebowie. It may not be as loud as the JJ DV but it has more depth to the sound. I feel the JJ DV is a bit bland in comparison. I also think the Drake is extremely versatile. I have used it in a rock band and an acoustic jazz gig. The power is there if I need it but it is not that bright unless you push it. The DV does not allow for me to control the sound as much. I actually find both pieces pretty free blowing with not much resistance. I know Aaron is not currently making the metal pieces, I recently tried his Studio piece and I thought it was very similar and equally as excellent as his high baffle metal piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I have a Drake NYJT M and a JJ DVNY.
I prefer the Drake over the Jody Jazz it plays a little Darker for me and sounds better in the bottom end.
Also very reed friendly.
The Jody Jazz is still an excellent piece in all respects.
I find the slimmer profile of the JJ a little uncomfortable compared to the Drake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts