Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when are we going to see Paul's mouthpiece copied?

Michael Brubeck should still have it with Paul's horn; it would be interesting to finally see how his mouthpiece was modified from the standard Gregory Model A pieces.

Do you think they would sell well?

- Saxaholic

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Didn't Desmond move to a Meyer a couple of years before he passed?

·
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might be thinking of Art Pepper, who switched to a Meyer and I believe he also played a Runyon Custom for a while, too. Early in his career he played the same mouthpiece as Desmond (check out Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section, easily in my top 5 jazz records of all time).

- Saxaholic

·
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they do come out with one, and you buy it, I'll buy you a dry martini if you let me try it out! :mrgreen:

- Saxaholic

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I'd rather just make a dry martini.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
Remember the Nete PD67? I have one.
I still have mine. Despite tons of practice and lots of Desmond listening and transcribing, I have not been "accused" of sounding like him yet.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Don't know about the mpc Desmond preferred but it has been said that his embouchre was "classical."

·
Registered
24 Posts
unbalancedaction, could you offer more information about the quality (or lack thereof) in the Meyer G material? I have read about inconsistency in there manufacturing process, but I wasn't aware of a material problem.

Thanks,

--
bstaggs <><

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
the meyer G pieces i have seen have a pretty decent baffle in them... they arent something i would've thought was designed to in a desmond direction

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You might be thinking of Art Pepper, who switched to a Meyer and I believe he also played a Runyon Custom for a while, too. Early in his career he played the same mouthpiece as Desmond (check out Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section, easily in my top 5 jazz records of all time).

- Saxaholic
An interesting story about that session; Pepper at this time was in a heavy stage of drug use. He had not picked up his horn in six months! The date was arranged unbeknownst to him by his manager and he wasn't told about it until the last minute. When he went to check his horn he found that he left his mouthpiece on the neck. Of course he pulled it off to clean it and the neck cork came off with it! He ended up playing the gig with the cork taped on to the neck! Check out "The Straight Life" by Art Pepper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
For the record, the Meyer G is not at all like a Gregory Model A. I don't know what they were smoking when they decided to market it that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts