Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Full review and sound clips posted of the Drake Jerry Bergonzi Power Resonance Tenor Saxophone mouthpiece. If you are looking for a rich, thick tenor tone that can sound killer on a jazz standard but then rip into overdrive volume without getting overly bright and thin, then this is a great mouthpiece to try out! Check it out!

Finger Thumb Bumper Tool Gesture

·
Affordable and Reliable Mouthpieces
690 Posts
Sounding great Steve!

I have the standard Drake Bergonzi EB in my personal collection and it is a great piece. I have always been curious about this model. I understand Aaron also makes one with a brass ring chamber on special request.

I enjoy playing Aaron's tenor and alto pieces. They have been consistently good for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Steve, it is always a pleasure to read your reviews and listen to you playing these pieces. Thank you for your effort, it is so helpful for all of us!

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Ive had NY Jazz 7 and have a 6* laVoce. My first impression is that I really like them and the romance fades quickly.
I think the material resonates odd compared to hard rubber.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Ive had NY Jazz 7 and have a 6* laVoce. My first impression is that I really like them and the romance fades quickly.
my experience as well, something about the material didn't jive for me too

·
13,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounding great Steve!

I have the standard Drake Bergonzi EB in my personal collection and it is a great piece. I have always been curious about this model. I understand Aaron also makes one with a brass ring chamber on special request.

I enjoy playing Aaron's tenor and alto pieces. They have been consistently good for me.
I'm curious what the brass ring chamber does? It would be cool to compare the regular model next to an identical brass ring mouthpiece.......

·
13,169 Posts

·
13,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. Aaron does describe them as resonating more "alive" than hard rubber which I equate to more bright but I didn't find this Power Resonance piece to be too bright at all in my opinion......

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I’m not sure for the drake mpcs I’ve had and tried the material changed anything about the sound bright or dark; for me it was how they felt. Something different than hard rubber that I didn’t /couldn’t get used to.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,856 Posts
I would think you'd need hard rubber versions of those pieces to know for sure otherwise
I'm thinking the internal dimensions(baffle,,chamber )and the sound you're getting from them isn't is as good for you as what you normally play .

·
Affordable and Reliable Mouthpieces
690 Posts
I'm curious what the brass ring chamber does? It would be cool to compare the regular model next to an identical brass ring mouthpiece.......
I have one of his NY Jazz alto piece with the brass ring. Compare to the standard NY Jazz, I find that the brass ring adds a bit of brilliance (not brightness) and more complexity to the sound.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Steve, you sound AMAZING playing in that barn. That is my very favorite audio clip that you have ever done! I have a Ceramic Resonance Chamber 7 tenor piece and I find myself playing it as often as my FL slant 7 tenor, which is my very favorite mouthpiece. I came from metal STM's so Aaron's pieces were an easy transition for me.

·
13,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve, you sound AMAZING playing in that barn. That is my very favorite audio clip that you have ever done! I have a Ceramic Resonance Chamber 7 tenor piece and I find myself playing it as often as my FL slant 7 tenor, which is my very favorite mouthpiece. I came from metal STM's so Aaron's pieces were an easy transition for me.
Thanks! I find that brighter more focused pieces sound the best in that barn. Darker more spread mouthpieces kind of get washed out with the reverb in the barn. Unfortunately, the barn is not heated so pretty soon I won't be able to play in there because of the winter temperatures up here in Vermont........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts