Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016, Musician and Store Ow
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was asked by a member to post a clip of the Drake Getz 7* in this forum. Yesterday I attached a clip to a post in the FS area. Apparently not too many samples of these mouthpieces to be heard. The player is David Evans from Portland.

Clip 1
Clip 2

FYI, same piece different days. Front room recordings with zoom, warts and all.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Very nice playing and great tone, jjm61400. I suspect it has more to do with you than the mpc, but obviously the Getz 7* works for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Dale sounds great on that thing!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah. This is really wonderful. And as Ben says the 2nd clip is very nice. Works very well in a non-Getz sound concept. I thought this mpc is for Stan's followers only.

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice playing and great tone, jjm61400. I suspect it has more to do with you than the mpc, but obviously the Getz 7* works for you.
Thanks JL, not me playing though. That's a buddy of mine, David Evans. I'll share your remarks with him. I would agree that the piece is just a fine tool that helps him acheive HIS sound concept. All best, Joe

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. This is really wonderful. And as Ben says the 2nd clip is very nice. Works very well in a non-Getz sound concept. I thought this mpc is for Stan's followers only.
Ha, we were talking about that today. The Getz association is wonderfully cool but the mouthpieces are so much more. I know that at least for David, it's just a great piece that allows him to cover of variety of music with relative ease.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Joe, how would you say this compares to your Klum slant copy? Do you have a Son of Slant to compare it to there as well? I got to try one of those and was very impressed...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Thanks JL, not me playing though. That's a buddy of mine, David Evans.
Oh, my mistake. Either I didn't notice that in the OP, or you edited it in. Either way, David sounds great on that mpc.

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joe, how would you say this compares to your Klum slant copy? Do you have a Son of Slant to compare it to there as well? I got to try one of those and was very impressed...
Hey Adam, I would say that, on average and in my experience with multiples of each, is that the Getz has a bit more color in the mid range and is a tad brighter on top. Very similar and both wonderful pieces. Yes, I've had the Son of Slant's as well (L chamber only) to compare. To me, the SoS model has a more modern edge to it. Again, great piece just a different vibe.

·
Registered
770 Posts
That never occurred to me. No good mpc would be so limited.
Of course not. And I didn't really mean it, just could't formulate my poor English correctly. :cry:
Anyway I think Joe's post (#14) gives a good idea of what this mpc is about. Listening to the samples on Drake's site and comparing them I got the same impresion: This Getz piece has more warmth in the mid range, maybe slightly more focus too. These are interesting mpcs, I mean the Drakes and the Klumes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Here is another taste of a Getz (7* / ZZ3 / Brancher lig) piece in a nonet setting led by the legendary Chuck Israels.

Not trying to wear the subject out; just seemed like a good way to share some cool music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzKoR_ayIMQ
What a way to start the morning, just got to work and am digging this band. They all sound great, David Evans on that Getz piece..yeah..(just picked mine up last night!)

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This question was asked in the FS thread, thought the poster might be better off with more than my take on the subject...

Originally Posted by dha
It's a great mouthpiece although I still don't sound like Stan Getz. Just kidding. Seriously I played the 7* I got last night and I couldn't put it down.. The only thing I noticed is the low
end around low C-Bflat was a bit harder to subtone for me than other mouthpieces I play. I also wonder
if there is any differance from one S.G 7* to any other produced or is the process so exact that they
are identical? Any comment on that would be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi dha,

In my experience, regardless of the maker and when dealing with hand finished products, I have always encountered mostly subtle and some not so subtle differences from piece to piece. In my store I have dealt many times with multiples of the same model in the same tip openings. I play test (way too much) every piece I sell. This practice continues to be a great learning tool in addition to helping better serve my customers. When selling an item over the Internet I attach a clip of the actual piece, it's not ideal but a practical way to convey something of the mouthpiece's "potential".

All that being said, try a couple different ligature/reed combos and see if that helps. Where did you end up finding yours?

All best,

Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts