Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,832 Posts
This is horrible news! Such a great player and a super talent!

A LEGEND.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
1,000 Posts
Oh no!!! This is terribly sad. One of the all time greatest keyboard artists. He was just amazingly versatile. From movie scores to American standards to boogie woogie. He’s one of those artists about whom it’s easier to list the musicians he didn’t play with and the genres to which he didn't contribute.

I have several of his albums and often listen to “In A Sentimental Mood”.

One of my giants.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,144 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
Very sad... he's been part of the soundtrack to my life for many years

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts
I remember talking with people who were in New Orleans back in the day.

They told me that he was so well known and respected that he would simply walk down the street, listen at the door to a club, and if he liked what he heard, walk up, grab an ax [nearly anything] and start jamming. Everyone in every genre gave him space, and was happy to have him play.

I do not know if these stories are true. According to some versions, he was dressed in full mardi gras gear, makeup, feather cape, crazy hat, quite often, any day of the year, when he did this sort of thing. As I recall, this would have been in the 60s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,017 Posts
Dr. John passed

Been listening to him off and on over the years. His music always sounded fresh and always brought me a smile.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,372 Posts
Re: Dr. John passed

Dr John the Night Tripper! RIP. I saw him in live performance many times over the years and he always put on a great show. Fantastic musician...

·
Registered
105 Posts
A huge loss for anyone interested in American music. The first time I heard Dr. John was special. It was New Orleans, about 1972 or 1972, during Mardi Gras. He opened for Professor Longhair, and then his band backed Fess. The concert was not publicized during Mardi Gras, and I was just lucky enough to know someone who knew someone.... Most of the audience was in costume. It was one of the best that I have ever heard. Also, the only time I heard Professor Longhair. But it was a very strange occasion, at the Civic Center in Plaquemines Parish. It had been rented for the evening and staffed by local longhairs -- no sign of anyone that looked like they actually worked there, and the scene was pretty chaotic. The plainclothes police came in, in dark suits and ties and walked around for a long time, checking out the obvious smell of 420 in the air. They were so obvious, like they didn't really want to arrest anyone. It was if they were surround by a bubble about 30 ft in diameter -- wherever they went a space opened around them. For anyone not used to the local vibe, it was pretty creepy. Fortunately, it did not detract from the fabulous music.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RIP Dr. John. I saw him at the Jazz and Heritage Festival in NOLA, 93 or 94. He was a great player and entertainer, really helped popularize the styles of Professor Longhair and other New Orelans pianist. He had a way of bringing seemingly divergent styles together and making them coherent. He had a great since of humor, his version of Makin' Woopie was great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts