Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know how much of a difference I'll hear between these two clip-on mics? It seems that so many players use the Shure W98 H/C and have good things to say about them, but I'm also hearing many good things about the DPA 4099s on this forum. Obviously, there is a price difference between the two. I am happy to pay the difference if the DPA is that much of a step-up from the Shure.
I'm going to replace my old Samson Airline 77 series this week and purchase a Shure SLX wireless system and I need to make a microphone choice. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
I spoke with Nils Landgren, my favorite trombonist, about this, he believed that the Shure Beta w98 H/C (which I have ..) was one of the best microphones that existed - before the DPA 4099 microphone, which he and his fellow musicians are now using. He said that the DPA is in a class by itself, and certainly worth the money.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that I will primarily be using either mic on Alto and sometimes Tenor in my Contemporary Jazz group as well as regular fill-in work with a Function Band as well as a Blues group. All the situations tend to be fairly loud.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Hi EgilF, How do you like the Shure Beta w98 H/C? Also, I enjoyed listening to Nils Landgren on You Tube!
I think the Shure Beta is a great mic. After I bought it I -for the first time -have received positive comments from sound technicians about the sound from my sax [or my microphone;-)]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts