Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to Connect the DPA 4099 microphone to the Wireless Transmitter that comes with the AKG PW45 set.
From what I understand I need an adapter to do this.
Any ideas which adapter is suitable for this?

Thank you so much
Thanasis

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I wouldn't use an adaptor. I'd have someone solder the appropriate connector onto the DPA 4099.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I use an adapter with my audio technica wireless transmitter. Works fine. Don't know whether DPA or audio technica made it, but I told the guy at sweetwater what I needed to do and he sent me the part.

EDIT: It's only been a year or so, so for all I know it will wear out and Hak is right. Using the adapter, though, I always have the option to just use a regular XLR if I don't want to go wireless.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answer guys.

Wondering. The DPA 4099 does not need a phantom power?

I thought the adapter would give the phantom power (using a battery probably) needed for the mic to function.

Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it does. That's exactly what the adapter does. Leeches from the power for the belt pack transmitter of your wireless system.
I guess the adapter transforms into 48v from the 1.5v from transmitter. Therefore the suggestion of hakukani for hard wiring is totally wrong.
I still don’t get how the adapter is powered and connect to the transmitter’s mini XLR connector.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to DPA's website you need the DAD3052 to connect to the PT40:
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=138&item=24113

Or you can change the connector by yourself. Cheaper but less versatile.

And, one word about the different voltages.
The mic itself use T-power (up to 12V on one wire and ground on the other)

To use it with Phantom power a converter is needed. This is what the XLR connector is doing. (And converting the impedance by the way)

Since the transmitter can provide a power level accepted by the mic the XLR connector goes off and the adaptor from DPA goes on the micro-dot connector.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, with the XLR connector attached to the micro-dot. But if you unscrew the XLR connector you will have a mic that will fit a wireless system (at least for the power level).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for your invaluable feedback.

I mean the Mini XLR connector on the Transmitter. Does it send some power to the mic or the DAD3052 adapter ?

Thanks guys

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Most microphones don't use 48 volts supplied by the phantom power. Most wireless mikes can be powered from a battery. I'm sure that DPA would not design a mic that couldn't be powered from a transmitter/beltpack.

Many regular condenser mikes don't use the full 48 volts. For instance, I've powered SM81s with a 15v power supply. The mic takes what it needs, powerwise. Remember voltage is Potential, not power (Potential x current). It's the big preamps (inside the mic case) on Neumann mikes that need the full 48v.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
attery. I'm sure that DPA would not design a mic that couldn't be powered from a transmitter/beltpack.
Even though all the DPA mics size wise would clip on a sax, the 4099 is their first mic that will actually work with a wireless system. That is the beauty of that mic. The also have a screw on end that is meant to use with adaptors they sell. One of them is the standard XLR adaptor to connect to a mic pre with phantom power. Since all the wireless manufacturers seem to have their own proprietary plugs, the you need to order the specific adaptor from DPA to fit you system. I use a Sennhesier wireless, so I got the sennheiser adaptor from DPA. These can also be ordered from sweetwater.com. You actually wouldn't want to hardwire your wireless connector on. Then you wouldn't be able to use it with other systems or the XLR adaptor.

One word of note: The Sennheiser system is very sensitive input wise. I had to order the 4099 T, which is for trumpet. It has a lower output, so it won't overdrive the transmitter. The beauty is they do this from a FET side, not just padding the output. i.e. it still sounds great.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Thanks, Woody. I did not know that they had a screw on adapter. I was picturing an aftermarket adapter that was not robust (as most adapters are not robust, and should be avoided when possible). That's why I advocate changing them out. I did this plenty of times with elements from Countryman (I liked countryman because their early offerings were water resistant, and the B3 was waterproof--great for the 'wash that man right out of my hair' scene in South Pacific, and the deluge that happens in 'Singing in the Rain'). The soldering job was pretty straightforward (at least when I had a nice magnifying glass :) ).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't use an adaptor. I'd have someone solder the appropriate connector onto the DPA 4099.
This tells me that the DPA adaptor is just a simple hardwired element. There are not coils and not extra electronics in it.
It this true?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most microphones don't use 48 volts supplied by the phantom power. Most wireless mikes can be powered from a battery. I'm sure that DPA would not design a mic that couldn't be powered from a transmitter/beltpack.
I got an answer straight from the DPA. Here is what they wrote:

Dear Thanasis
The mic works on 5-50 volts and the AKG PT450 supplies sufficient power. You need the adapter DAD6017 to make it work.

You can find a complete overview of the adapters and transmitters on the following link.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Microphone-University/adapters.aspx

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

???????
Sales Director, Co-founder
My problem is that the guy gave me a wrong adapter suggestion (DAD 6017) for the AKG PT450 transmitter instead of the PT45 transmitter that my question was. Like FrankR suggested above, the site recommends the DAD3052 adapter for the AKG PT40 but does not give recomendation for the PT45.

Any ideas? Also Please let me know if the adapter has some coils or other electronics or if I can do some hardwiring. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is fvcked up. The answers I got from DPA was something like the 4V output of the AKG PT45 is not enough to drive efficiently the DPA 4099

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reply From a DPA technician...... Really cool customer service..... Here is the reply:

The 4099 requires a phantom power voltage of between 5-50v. The AKG PT45 provides 4V which is unfortunately not enough to operate the 4099. AKG does make other systems that provide enough voltage (PT450 for example, which would be used with our DAD6017 adapter). Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide, and feel free to contact me at the number below with any additional questions or concerns.
Of course the AKG PT450 is an expensive system, and I think of going to the Sennheiser EW 172 G3 system instead.

Many questions but few answers. I am also waiting of reply from Sennheiser.

-------

1 - 20 of 28 Posts