Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been teaching my daughter confirmation (tune, no improv.) and this is a video I've been using to inspire her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAGgjgamS88
What are the good note choices for the downward gliss at 00:25? My guess is a minor pentatonic or something similar. Also any other tips for the gliss? It's something I've never got quite right on saxophone, something to do with the breath technique I think.
Maybe there are some videos out there about this?
Cheers

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Hard to say for certain (at least without slowing it way down and listening closely), but in that video it sounds to me like the gliss she does at 00:25 is a chromatic fall. Slurring down the chromatic scale, letting the sound die out at the end.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. I'll have a listen at a slower speed later.

But what is the 'general rule' when selecting notes for something like this? If it were me I'd choose a group of notes from the scale related to the underlying harmony for that note of the tune - and choose a slection of notes that was easy to finger fast. I'd instinctively not do a chromatic run but perhaps that is preferable?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
The tunes in C and she is starting the fall on G so I would suspect she is just playing GFEDC and fading out as she goes down. I try to stay somewhat in the key when I do a fall. Chromatics usually have too many close notes that make it harder to get the full affect of the fall in my opinion........

·
Registered
299 Posts
+1

·
Registered
299 Posts
The tunes in C and she is starting the fall on G so I would suspect she is just playing GFEDC and fading out as she goes down. I try to stay somewhat in the key when I do a fall. Chromatics usually have too many close notes that make it harder to get the full affect of the fall in my opinion........
+1

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,951 Posts
T I try to stay somewhat in the key when I do a fall. Chromatics usually have too many close notes that make it harder to get the full affect of the fall in my opinion........
Unless you are Earl Bostic

·
23,026 Posts
I try to stay somewhat in the key when I do a fall. Chromatics usually have too many close notes that make it harder to get the full affect of the fall in my opinion........
I agree with that in general. And I also rarely use a chromatic gliss because it tends to be too many notes when I want to go well down the scale (in some cases for a short 'fall' I'll use a chromatic gliss). However, in this case it just sounded chromatic to my ear, but I could well be wrong. In any case the fact it is hard to tell means it's a well-executed gliss.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,951 Posts
I agree with that in general. And I also rarely use a chromatic gliss because it tends to be too many notes when I want to go well down the scale (in some cases for a short 'fall' I'll use a chromatic gliss).

Unless you are Earl Bostic:

·
23,026 Posts

Unless you are Earl Bostic:

Right, LOL, I wish I could play 1/10 of what Earl Bostic could.

Funny you should bring this tune up because it's exactly the tune that I was thinking of when I mentioned a gliss that is too long for me to pull off with a chromatic fall. I tend to use a "somewhat in the key" fall (as Steve mentioned) on Night Train. I've tried the chromatic run and so far can't pull it off as well as Earl. Then again, I play that tune more up-tempo, making the chromatic run more difficult, at least for me. Maybe someday....listening to that makes me really want to do it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts