Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I used to own a Yamaha YTS-23 which I foolishly sold some years ago mainly because I wanted to upgrade my tenor. Then I bought a shiny Selmer SA 80 II tenor and I was happy.. for a while. That horn just didn't do it for me. It's a quite heavy horn and although it's in top shape it seems to require more air than other tenors that I've had. The sound is big and dark but missing that "sparkle" in the sound. The alto is my main horn but I used to also love to play tenor occasionally. Lately my tenor have been gathering dust.. until yesterday! I went to a local music shop and just for the kicks got a brand new Yamaha YTS-280 for testing. Wow! This thing is just sooo easy to play and it has a great, a bit brighter, sound! Tenor playing is fun again! :)

Some funky noodling with my Selmer and with the new Yamaha:
https://soundcloud.com/user784030874/sets/the-two-tenors

-TH

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
soundcloud link is not working.

Anyway, to each player his own horn and to each horn its own player.

There is a very good chance that the Yamaha was adjusted better than the SA80II was and therefore played better. Personally I was not impressed by either of these horns when I had them in my hands. But again a better adjusted horn beats a not as well adjusted horn any time.

Also, long ago, when my only saxophone had been a Dixon, I went to a place where I tried a copper Buffet and a SA 80 II, I couldn’t really see what the fuss was about spending all that money for a new horn, they all played more or less like the Dixon did, or rather, I did play the same on anything because that’s where I was at.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Hi,

I used to own a Yamaha YTS-23 which I foolishly sold some years ago mainly because I wanted to upgrade my tenor. Then I bought a shiny Selmer SA 80 II tenor and I was happy.. for a while. That horn just didn't do it for me. It's a quite heavy horn and although it's in top shape it seems to require more air than other tenors that I've had. The sound is big and dark but missing that "sparkle" in the sound. The alto is my main horn but I used to also love to play tenor occasionally. Lately my tenor have been gathering dust.. until yesterday! I went to a local music shop and just for the kicks got a brand new Yamaha YTS-280 for testing. Wow! This thing is just sooo easy to play and it has a great, a bit brighter, sound! Tenor playing is fun again! :)

Some funky noodling with my Selmer and with the new Yamaha:
https://soundcloud.com/user784030874/sets/the-two-tenors

-TH
I love a happy ending! Congratulations on finding a horn that suits you.

However, the link led me to:

"We can’t find that playlist.

Did you try to access a private playlist while not being signed in?
Maybe the playlist has been removed."

·
38,885 Posts
nope, it appears to contain no tracks

·
38,885 Posts
yes, the Yamaha sounds better and you sound very nice on both but I think the selmer has some adjustment problem.

More power to you anyway, sell the Selmer and keep the Yamaha.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Frankly I like the sound of both, although the Selmer sounds a little "warmer". And, you sound great on each. But, if the Yamaha is doing it for you, let it happen! :)

·
12,711 Posts
You sound good. Use what floats your boat.

I played a couple of SA 80 II tenors. They were both good horns but there was nothing that made me want to take them home with me. Im not a big Yamaha fan but they are good horns too.

...most important is if it does it for you and it seems to. Congrats and you can use the savings for reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
There is a very good chance that the Yamaha was adjusted better than the SA80II was and therefore played better. Personally I was not impressed by either of these horns when I had them in my hands. But again a better adjusted horn beats a not as well adjusted horn any time.
This is the first question which popped into my mind upon reading the OP.

From your description, it sorta sounds like the Selmer was leaky (?)

If it was, then as Milandro notes, one cannot really side-by-side a horn in good tack vs. a horn which needs a servicing.

But anyways....as long as you are happy, congrats, and best of luck with your new axe. You sound good !

On the general theme of this thread: I know plenty of (great) players who upon trying to choose between a classic top-shelfer and a second-shelfer, just flat out preferred the second shelfer; felt it performed and responded far better than the more expensive horn. Not all that unusual.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
I played a II tenor for ten years and I have to agree with the OP - it can be a very 'blah' horn. Not bad, just lifeless. I found myself using every trick in the book to bring it to life - silver neck, Guardala 'King Curtis', special 'Fusion' ligature, yadda, yadda. I wasn't happy until I bought another VI (186xxx) which is probably the most outspoken and vibrant sax I've ever had. I still use the Guardala but now a soft Rovner lig and original neck. I ended up trading the II for an excellent 1956 Martin baritone. :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I actually preferred the Selmer track. Go figure! It kind of has a French Horn quality to it. The Yamaha sounds brash, by comparison, if you ask me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Same for me.

I actually preferred the Selmer track. Go figure! It kind of has a French Horn quality to it. The Yamaha sounds brash, by comparison, if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
15,495 Posts
All that matters is what YOU think.
If it sounds and feels better to you behind the horn, and you like the way you sound on the recordings... THATS IT.
I am happy for you.

Enjoy, and it’s great to hear your enthusiasm!!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I like both tracks too, but the Selmer had a slight edge over the Yamaha. But it may have had a slight edge because it’s the horn you are used to

1 - 20 of 23 Posts