Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ask this but do any one anything about Doug Lawrence ?
I would just like to know if you have what do you think of him ?
I only just heard his name, But there again I guess hes never heard of my name also hehehee. Info pls

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
Doug Lawrence is the 1st tenor sax player with the Count Basie orchestra. I got to work with him about a month ago when the Palm Beach Pops backed the Basie band for a week. I also did some repairs on his horn. He's a sensational jazz tenor player with a great band.

There are new tunes on my MYSPACE MUSIC page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
Registered
249 Posts
doug lawrence

I was a on the phone with Doug Miller just last night ,{2nd tenor} in the Basie band. He is looking for a traveling sax. I asked him if he had tried Mr. Lawrences' P.Mauriat. and he had'nt. I am wondering what sax you worked on in florida.....if it might have been the P and what happen. Thanks...p.s. Nice My space,playin !!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
I worked on the P Mauriat. It had several little problems straight from the factory (rollers didn't move, etc.). Doug Miller gave me his CD. What a nice guy he is.

Jaco Pastorius' Continuum for eight saxophones goes up on MYSPACE today:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
Registered
249 Posts
Doug Miller is my bandmate from S.F, Back in the mid 70's...he studied with Joe Henderson. Doug"s trying to decide on a travel horn,maybe a Borgani. I mentioned that the 67R might be worth a try. I'm playing one, set aside my selmer bal tenor 35xxx. for the time, i think the P. Mauriat plays well. Although i'm not in the Basie band ,i do a bit of playing myself. Thanks for the response!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
946 Posts
I saw Doug Lawrence in the Basie band and then again last summer he did a show for the New Mexico Jazz Fest with his quartet. His Quartet was smokin. He had 2 young kids on bass and drums that were amazing and his buddy from the B3 Bombers on organ. Great show. He really is a sensational Sax player. I would compare him closest to Gene Ammons style. I wondered what kind of horn he played. So it was a P?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just mised out on his Martin Tenor, it was up for sale on ebay in Germany.
It was in really good condition,it wnet for around 755 GB pounds.Just my luck
O well I have to keep looking around again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,117 Posts
High Heel Sneakers

A friend of mine bought it used for $1.50, then gave it to me. I absolutely love the CD. Straightforward great jazz with a wonderful tone to his tenor. Highly recommended. I hope I get a chance to see Doug Lawrence live.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts