Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm auditioning for Berklee as a transfer student in August, and other schools later this year. I already have my prepared pieces chosen and almost everything else is squared away... except for the issue of doubling. No college I've looked at specifies anything about bringing doubles to their auditions, and I'm not sure if that gives applicants free reign to bring them or not.

Should I bring soprano and/or flute along with me to my alto auditions? If so, would it give me a noticeable advantage as opposed to not bringing them?

Now, I'm not looking for a "Berklee is overrated; go here instead blah blah" debate here... save that for a different thread. I would just like to know if it's a good idea to bring and play one's doubling instruments at one's auditions.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If they don't say anything in the information, I would say no. I think they are looking for talent, any good alto player can learn soprano in time. I know you can audition on more than one instrument though. I auditioned for loyola new orleans on saxophone for jazz, and clarinet for classical

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I don't think it matters. And Berklee never struck me as a school that put an emphasis on doubling anyway. I don't consider playing other saxophones to be doubling. If you can work your soprano in, feel free to do it. The important thing is that you do what makes you sounds best. If your soprano is as good as your alto, then go for it. But if your soprano is noticeably weaker, then it's better to stick to your best horn rather than worry about demonstrating proficiency on other saxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Always have some double at an audition. Another sax does not count. Something like a clarinet or flute does. And you don't have to be amazing on your double. Just have a nice sound and know basically how to get around.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Different sized saxes are not doubles. In fact, IIRC, according to union contracts 20+ years ago, clarinet, flute and saxes 'doubles' didn't get doubling fees.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Different sized saxes are not doubles. In fact, IIRC, according to union contracts 20+ years ago, clarinet, flute and saxes 'doubles' didn't get doubling fees.
May just be your local. For mine, flute is always a double. Clarinet is considered a double on shows where dance music is not included (ie, musicals; classical gigs).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd consider soprano a "double" in this case (when choosing what instrument to major in for college; not necessarily because of the "a saxophone is a saxophone" mentality or because of the union) because, AFAIK, soprano isn't offered as a true "major" saxophone at any music school I've checked out... only alto, tenor, and bari are. Possibly I missed a school, though?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts