Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having quite a lot of flying to do this spring with the trio I'm in. I play tenor and bass clarinet. I just realized that in all my years of playing I've never had to bring the two horns on the plane. So my questions is: assuming you can take only one horn in the cabin, which one would that be? And what about the other one?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Last time I played in Amsterdam and Den Haag I had to fly into schipol with tenor, curved soprano, loads of blues harps & a musical saw (the latter really freaked them out at customs!)... saw, harps, and curved sop in a suitcase in the hold, tenor on my back (my little Bauhuas curvie is pretty solid compared with a tenor and there was on way a saw was ever going to be accompanying me into the cabin!).

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
I travel by USAF Bus.

·
1,364 Posts
That's nice. But I'm having to fly to places like India and South Korea. That's a bit far to do by bus.
now that'd be an adventure!

·
1,364 Posts
So you're suggesting I put the bass clarinet in the suitcase? That could work, I guess.
Only if the body breaks down into enough parts and you pad it enough- better that than a sax....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
I traveled with my soprano sax & alto.
alto in SKB contoured case - checked in as luggage.
hand carry the soprano with my haversack which contains my laptop, microphone, clothes .. ...
now, I am trying to get the protec wheelie for sop+alto combi.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have to travel to the south with my Bari, Tenor, alto and clarinet for a gig of a month and a half. I send all the instruments by land, and I travel only with the clarinet, and also my bag with clothes. All very good, and when I arrived the instruments were waiting for me. IMPORTANT: all in SKB and packed very well one by one. When I cam back I made the same routine. Lucky.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I've carried my low-C bass clarinet on board a few times, and I haven't yet run into a plane where I couldn't get it into the overhead and/or under the seats (which is where it was on a CRJ). Never tried to bring another horn, though.

If I absolutely had to, I suppose I'd check my backup tenor and carry the bass clarinet, but for purely economic reasons... my B/C would cost at least three times as much as the tenor to replace. You could also pack a Bundy that breaks down into four pieces (they're out there--you just have to hunt a while), and check that one. Or, do what others have suggested and ship the horns ahead.

·
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sending horns over land is no option when you have to play in India. Besides, I need them the day before we fly. I guess I'll pack the bass clarinet (Leblanc Low Eb) and take the tenor with me in the cabin. I don't see any other solution.

·
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dear John! Anyway, he did that with the plastic Bundy. Not sure he would have done it with a wooden horn. (I won't..)

·
2,309 Posts
Are you traveling alone or with a group?...

Most of my flying involves my quartet leaving out (and returning) on the same flight. I always carry my tenor, if we're out and back I'll have my pianist carry one (either the soprano or alto) and my drummer carry the other.

If we are going out on a series of (tour) dates I still carry my tenor as I can of course perform every composition on tenor and the alto & soprano travel in an Anvil.

·
Registered
530 Posts
a colleague of mine travels with tenor and bass cl (new Selmer low C and mark VI) and uses a flightcase from these people
http://www.gothardflightcases.co.uk/www.gothardflightcases.co.uk/contact.php

basically they make a flightcase to your spec and pack it full of layers of foam which you then cut out in the shape of the horns. He has it with bass above tenor and travels everywhere with no problems. It has wheels and handle. The downside is it probably uses up all of your free baggage allowance. They made a tenor version for me which is sized to fit my Hiscox case. Then I can use the Hiscox when I get to the destination. It cost about £300. I used it going to the US with no problems

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
a colleague of mine travels with tenor...and uses a flightcase ...
A friend of mine also has a custom made flightcase for his TH&C tenor (the sax case fits inside the flightcase). He had it made locally.

·
2,309 Posts
That's a great option, I don't know why more people don't think of it.
Along time back that bit of wisdom came to me from Jim Moody, God bless him, he did it and told me...'yea there friends but you're paying their salary' and it's never been a big deal. I mean they only have them from curbside to the overhead then off and to a limo or van.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts