Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all
Just curious....for those of you that play a different horn as your primary instrument: How much time and effort do you invest into playing your flute?

If you are playing sax or clarinet (eg) and practice every day and study frequently ie weekly, how often do you practice flute?

How often do you take lessons?
Thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
A quarter to half as much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
When I was really practicing it, an hour to an hour and a half a day, 5 or 6 days of the week.

I'm not a great flutist, but it's at the level I need it to be at for the things I do. So now I do 20-30 minutes worth about 3 days a week as maintenance. A little bit each of tone work, scales, and arpeggios. The basics. And then if I need to practice something for a specific gig, I'll add that in if need be.

I haven't had a lesson in about 5 years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
I approached flute the same way I did whenever I learned a new instrument: I took private lessons immediately with a full-time pro.

I found that 6 months to a year of private lessons was good enough for me to attain a reasonable level of ability on a new horn. That means practice every day for about an hour, plus a lesson every week without fail.

Once I reached this level, my practice leveled off as I needed that time to work on all my other horns. But even though I may go for months without practicing flute, I find that when I do begin another round of practice (say because I have a show coming up), my base level always reappears. Case in point: I just did a show with a lot of technical flute playing. I hadn't played flute in almost a year. But after practicing it daily for a month in preparation for the show, I am now playing better flute than I ever have in my life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts