Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I double tongue when playing clarinet, but it seems impractical on the sax. I can tongue quicker and cleaner with a single tongue on sax. Does it seem impractical to anyone else? Should I spend more time on it? And can someone describe the difference between double tongueing on clarinet and saxophone for me? Thank You :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
i doubt there is much difference...although i have very little experience doing it on clarinet. and since i don't currently have one i can't experiment. but, the concept of double tonguing is the same on any instrument. use the tip of your tongue for the first attack then the back of your tongue for the second. i've found that this gets increasingly difficult the higher you play on the saxophone, because the notes start to scoop on the second part of the articulation(back of the tongue). i haven't practiced it enough to give any advice on that.
it's pretty much just a gimmick on the saxophone anyway...i've heard soloist from the past do it very well, but it's always that cheesey kind band music or something...i can think of a few times i've actually used it in performances but it's rare..and if you're REALLY good at single tonguing you'll be fine....
but it is fun to do it. !

·
Registered
287 Posts
coltrane used to use double tounging to create "ghost notes". just take a listen to blue trane. he uses them mostly on ascending triplets.

·
Registered
241 Posts
hmm...I double tongue on sax - not often but its a fun party trick. I Double tongue faster than a lot of trumpet players that I know. I've heard of different schools of double tonguing - I just go tu ku tu ku or tuh kuh tuh kuh in my mouth. for a while I was learning to triple tongue which is tuh tuh kuh. it helps with triplets but I can't coordinate my tongue enough to do that well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts