Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,572 Posts
First thing I checked was the date of this thread.

Folks... catch up with curve here;)....several threads about the fact that there's a Chinese factory with an eBay presence which now makes replica underslung 10M/6M necks.

They are dead-on replicas, I used one on a neckless 60's 10M. The ONLY issue, as I reported in an initial thread on them (started by Palo Tung, I think) is that there was an issue with the siver-soldering of the thumbscrew eyelets; they needed to be resoldered here.

I suggested that anyone buying one talk to the seller and get them to have the factory confirm that issue has been dealt with and that the eyelets are solidly and reliably soldered.

Other thing I suggested is have them bump up the shipping to Fedex or DHL, as the standard ship from China can take 6 weeks and then oddly, the tracking # changes once it enters US but they don't change it in the shipping info (not their fauly, but that's just what happens).

So this is by far the best, quickest bet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,572 Posts
I have a silver plated one for my 6m and I don't care for it at all. I immediately noticed that it was a lot lighter and had a differrent angle then my original. The sound was also quite stuffy. I'm not too fond about that option.
I never bought a 6M one but I can tell you with certainty that the 10M ones are really accurate replicas....and they fit well, performed quite well, no odd intonation, and a nice clear, 10M tone. I am not gonna say they are as hefty as the originals, but they are accurate repros...not just "made to look pretty, forget everything else"....

I dunno ....as noted above...$500+ gets you an original one if you can be patient and wait a year for one to pop up on eBay or the like.....$500+ gets you a custom-made replica from one of the places which supplies those.....or $400+ gets you (maybe) a tech who can do the alterations to your 10M (again these are significant, octave mech needs to be altered quite a bit and a new receiver installed) to allow it to take a standard 16M type neck (plus the cost of acquiring a 16M neck).

Or lastly as Turf notes, find another 10M horn to use for parts...and nowadays even the late 60's ones in project shape cost $750+, so....

Oh, I forgot the last one: sell your 10M body for maybe, I dunno, $450 might be a market value...and buy a complete 10M instead....

IMHO, compared to any of the above, a $125 chinese replica 10M neck seems worth a punt to me....if you don't like it you can resell it for $65 certainly....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts