Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a few mpcs from this very generous old timer around here, including a few I'd really like to keep. One of them is a Strathon with the adjustable baffle : perfect to compete with guitar and ridiculously easy to play. And it looks like a space ship.

The other one a double ring line : what a fantastic core! It's, depending on the reed and how you blow early Rollins or early Trane. :lol: I understand the hype now. This has NOTHING to do with modern STMs.

Sadly this Link would really need a cleanup. The facing is REALLY long and it's tricky to drive at times... Considering the thickness of the tip rail, I'm sure it's in original condition which would prove Link quality issues are nothing new. Maybe I need to play a 2X4 on it?

Although the owner don't play it and told me if one of the mpcs in the bunch worked for me, I could keep it 1. I won't be sending this Link for a cleanup as I don't feel it's mine 2. I would feel like cheating the guy if I didn't ask him : "are you sure you want to give me a $1,500 mouthpiece?" :lol: Haaa, life....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I got a few mpcs from this very generous old timer around here, including a few I'd really like to keep. One of them is a Strathon with the adjustable baffle : perfect to compete with guitar and ridiculously easy to play. And it looks like a space ship.

The other one a double ring line : what a fantastic core! It's, depending on the reed and how you blow early Rollins or early Trane. :lol: I understand the hype now. This has NOTHING to do with modern STMs.

Sadly this Link would really need a cleanup. The facing is REALLY long and it's tricky to drive at times... Considering the thickness of the tip rail, I'm sure it's in original condition which would prove Link quality issues are nothing new. Maybe I need to play a 2X4 on it?

Although the owner don't play it and told me if one of the mpcs in the bunch worked for me, I could keep it 1. I won't be sending this Link for a cleanup as I don't feel it's mine 2. I would feel like cheating the guy if I didn't ask him : "are you sure you want to give me a $1,500 mouthpiece?" :lol:
Sleep-typing?

·
Registered
294 Posts
man, if that link plays great, DO NOT get it cleaned up. The feel always changes, even after small adjustments. Speaking from personal experience, and I know that not everybody will agree on that but it has happened to me several times.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man, if that link plays great, DO NOT get it cleaned up. The feel always changes, even after small adjustments. Speaking from personal experience, and I know that not everybody will agree on that but it has happened to me several times.
No, I think it really needs a cleanup. When you put the mpc table on a flat surface you can see how crazy the length of the facing is. Or maybe it is the table that's not flat?

It sounds great down low and up high but the middle register doesn't respond the same. I wouldn't take this Link on the gig in this state. But what a nice magical core sound! Just like on the records!

But you got me a little nervous now... that said it's not like it was mine.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...I thought vintage mouthpieces were just hype to make evil instrument hoarders unjustifyably rich?????

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..I never played one...how do they compare to a opened up/refaced master link??

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had a double ring 10 years ago that had been opened slightly by Jey Clark. That piece was killin', I should never have sold that. I think that was the best metal link I have had.
I seem to get along with HR links the best anyway..

@sirspinbad: I don't think you can compare them to a master link. Completely different animal.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
..I never played one...how do they compare to a opened up/refaced master link??

I've only played one of each, but for me the difference was like night and day. Comparing the two I had, the Master Link was stuffy and relatively gutless, while the Double Ring was free, rich, and robust. I returned the Master Link for a refund. I eventually sold the Double Ring when I switched to a Slant Sig. I wish I still had the Double Ring, even though it was a smaller tip opening than what I prefer.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more I play it, the more I'm depressed about having to let it go. I think it asks for at least a #4 reed.

This is the best sounding (not the best playing though) mpc I've ever played. This is the SBA of mpcs! :shock: It has the same kind of vocal resonance. Man, this is driving me crazy! Where is this coming from? Why couldn't someone replicate this?

·
Banned
49 Posts
Hey Victor,

Could it be that the table is just that uneven, warped even? How long do you reckon the facing to be? I think you should send it to me for evaluation. I'll PM my General Delivery address.
SG

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,785 Posts
.... 2. I would feel like cheating the guy if I didn't ask him : "are you sure you want to give me a $1,500 mouthpiece?" :lol: Haaa, life....
So ask him - you never know, maybe he does!

... the Babbitt factory's QC has been sucking for decades.
Double rings were not made by Babbitt.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

I've got single-ring No-USA Florida STM's on both tenor and alto. And they are both awesome. Surprisingly, the alto Link has something mature about the sound that no alto mouthpiece I've ever owned before has. It's pretty nice.

·
2,118 Posts
He offered you a mouthpiece, so keep it!

If not you, then somebody else...

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've played many. (Like over 20).
Some were good, a few very good, and maybe one or two that were great.
AND...some were just "OK" or not-so-good.

They all aren't "killer" and MOST are not worth $1200+. A good link is a good link. Don't fall for the hype of self-styled, vintage, "dealers"

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
from the best website of all time

OTTO LINK saxophone mouthpiece
THE MOVE TO POMPANO BEACH, FLORIDA:
While making the SUPER TONE MASTER mouthpieces in the early 1950s, Otto Link moved to Pompano Beach, Florida. The mouthpieces made in Florida looked like the earlier SUPER TONE MASTER models with a few exceptions. The serial numbers were larger and NEW YORK was no longer stamped on the shank. They also sounded brighter due to a bit more baffle material right behind the tip rail.

Interestingly, Otto Link also started putting rhodium (nickel) plating under the gold plating, instead of silver. As gold does not adhere well to raw brass an intermediate material is usually used. Silver worked will, but as it is as soft as gold, it would wear quickly. Rhodium is much harder, and lasts a lot longer; however, gold does not stick well to the rhodium. Many of the Florida mouthpieces we see today are a shiny nickel-silver color due to the gold plating rubbing off and leaving the hard rhodium exposed.

At this time (1950s), musicians began playing larger tip openings. Otto Link recognized this and began producing mouthpieces in larger sizes. Standard facing went up to 10. Previously, standard tip openings only went as high as a 5*. The facings radically changed from the NY models as well. Instead of using the longer facings with smaller tip openings (like the NY models), Otto Link started producing their mouthpieces with medium facings, allowing for bigger tip openings.

The first versions had a very shallow roll-over baffle (like the NY Otto Links). By the end of the double band model run though, Otto Link started putting a lot more roll-over to their baffles, creating a much brighter sound.
OTTO LINK saxophone mouthpiece

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
its shows here that there was some variation over the run of this model...as well as dating back to the ny models

im curious as to which period the mouthpiece you are blowing on is from....does it have serial numbers?medium or long table...rhodium,or silver....and yes!!! which lig??crosshatched pattern or straight lines on the sides????

·
2,309 Posts
You got lucky...Just shows how important it is to play test any piece. Over the years I've tried out many of what most would call the supposedly great Links, the Hawkins, the Master Link, Double Ring, Transitionals, Florida models...and although there were some that truly played well most were duds to average.

JR

1 - 20 of 94 Posts