Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Kymarto,

I see you are into traditional Japanese instruments. Actually, I first thought about using a Hichiriki reed instead of a bassoon reed because of the wide opening for the bore. I also built a Shakuhachi mouthpiece for my sax, but the conical shape and wide bore made it impossible for me to get low tones (flutes are usually inverted conical or cylindrical).

Best,

Jonas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is a video with a duduk (double reed) adapted to the soprano saxophone playing in a trio with my pocket didgeridoo and the saxophone played on the neck as flute:

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,637 Posts
Amazing... (the music is too)

also the NEY , side blown flute technique on soprano!

Do you have any close up picture of the adaptation of the the Duduk reeds?

Dis you just insert a double reed in the soprano, have you ever tried to use a duduk double reed on tenor or alto?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Amazing... (the music is too)

also the NEY , side blown flute technique on soprano!

Do you have any close up picture of the adaptation of the the Duduk reeds?

Dis you just insert a double reed in the soprano, have you ever tried to use a duduk double reed on tenor or alto?
Funny that you ask. I just finished a video yesterday on adapting the duduk reed to the soprano saxophone:

In the video, there is an unhindered close up of the adapter 5 seconds from the start. It is also described in my book: Hyperspecializing in Saxophone. The video uses a slightly modified technique, which works better for me. In the beginning of the video, there is also a short sound comparison between the duduk-reed modified sax and a traditional duduk.

I hope you find the information useful,

Jonas

21 - 26 of 26 Posts