Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry, lots of questions here, but I feel like a happily married man, and my wife's very attractive best friend has just put her hand on my knee. (if you get my drift...)

I am an alto player, only played for a year, but making good progress (take a look on youtube below etc..)

I have always favoured ballads, using subtone on the alto where possible

Having played a tenor at my teacher's house last week, I was seduced, and took the plunge and got myself a cheap student tenor.

This cheap Yani Bronze copy (a Walstein) was recommended by Pete Thomas here on SOTW, and it arrived today and I am very pleased with it. I upped the stakes a litle by buying a otto-link HR5* and a box of rico royals 2.5 (same reeds I use on alto)

I have fallen in love with the sound, I'll post some clips as soon as I can, but even after 2 hours with it, it sounds smooth, and I am getting a very Getzy (IMHO) sound out of it. I don't normally listen to tenor players at all, I am pretty much a west coast jazz Alto fan, Pepper, Shank, and Geller are my heroes.

I am finding improvising very easy on it, as I play pretty much by ear, so it is just a case of learning tunes in a different key.

Questions:

1) Is it best to exclude the Alto from practice for a while, so that I can develop the tenor embouchure, so it can be easily returned to?

2) Will it spoil my delicate and soft tone on the alto? (IMHO:cool: )

3) Will playing songs I already know in a different key actually benefit my alto playing??

4) At what point do I say, OK, "new toy" over with, I am now a tenor player????? I already prefer the sound I am making on this, and so does my wife :)

I guess I would like to be able to do an "Art Pepper" and pull out the tenor for the odd recording when it suits. How do I do this without damaging my chops and therefore wasting the time I have put into the alto?

Surely I am not the first to have gone through this.....

BTW, I forgot the stand, pull through, padsaver, and reedcase are all different, it is going to be mucho $$$$$$$

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Congralutions, on the new horn.
1) Is it best to exclude the Alto from practice for a while, so that I can develop the tenor embouchure, so it can be easily returned to?
Absolutly NOT!!! Whatever you do don't stop playing Alto. If you just play Tenor your embrochure will loosen up the way it should when playing Tenor. However you will have trouble going back to Alto. Your mouth will have to relearn the embrochure.

Stand will be the same depending on the stand that you have. How much $ will depend on how nice you want to go. My reed case for Tenor is Glass where you put the reeds and Wood on the outside, cost around $30. While a cheap option would be a Reed Saver from I think Rico. Holds 4 reeds, but they have a tendency to fall out. It depends on how much you are willing to spend on that horn.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Welcome to the dark side Matthew. No need to look back, bury the alto or give it to a very short person, you've moved up to a real sax now :D :D :D

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Forget your questions. Don't think so much. Just play both horns for a couple of months and the answers that are right for you will come. ;)

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gary said:
Forget your questions. Don't think so much
If only I could........... BTW Gary, I love the way the Chinese have given this horn the name WALSTEIN. They obviously know that a Germanic name imparts a feeling of quality and..............

View attachment 2122

Thanks Rick....... It sticks in the mind....

·
1,404 Posts
Play em both. Do what you feel. Follow your bliss. Playing tenor will make you a better alto player, and vice versa. They're both saxophones. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Heh heh heh I'd forgotten about that photo! You can expect ladies like these to be all over you now you've got a tenor - to be honest it can really get to be a nuisance when all you're trying to do is pop down to the shops for a pint of milk and there they are camping outside your house with their leiderhosen and pony tails, begging fyou or just one more sultry ballad, sigh :|

When are you going to post a clip then?

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick Adams said:
Heh heh heh I'd forgotten about that photo! You can expect ladies like these to be all over you now you've got a tenor - to be honest it can really get to be a nuisance when all you're trying to do is pop down to the shops for a pint of milk and there they are camping outside your house with their leiderhosen and pony tails, begging fyou or just one more sultry ballad, sigh :|

When are you going to post a clip then?
Nearly did post a clip, but made a few ****-ups. I have to get used to that slobbery open jawed mouth action.

Embouchure could do with some work too :cool:

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
You might think about upping the reed strength alittle, to get the same resistence on Alto you get on Tenor. probably a reed size up. Otherwise have fun and good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts