Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else regret selling some of the mouthpieces you've let go. I sure have....

Barone Contemporary in solid silver
Barone Rock Fusion
Sugal SGII (a few of them). Also let a few go back to Gary when he'd let pick from a batch that I wish I would have kept.
Sugal JB101
Dukoff Miami Soprano M7

Just to name a few.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
Agree. At least, don't sell them until you have your tone/sound production developed enough to conduct a legitimate evaluation of your mouthpieces. I got rid of a bunch of pieces (including a Florida link, Barone Super NY, RPC, Ponzol II V I, Bergs, and others) that weren't working for me. Took me a few years to realize it was me, not the mouthpieces. Wish I had a lot of them back.

·
Premium Member
15,495 Posts
I regret selling some really rare mouthpieces I’ve had over the years, but I don’t regret selling a single Mpc in terms missing it’s playability, because I play on the absolute best mouthpiece for myself now, so I never look back. It’s a GREAT place to be.

Woody, a very happy new year to you!

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't ever sell any gear, just be buried with it and your pets like the Egyptian Pharaohs.
Ha! Dig. and if anyone is out there that bought any of these from me wants to sell them, I'm will to take them back.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Don't ever sell any gear, just be buried with it and your pets like the Egyptian Pharaohs.
I'd probably need a pyramid then :)

But I did sell my first tenor (Buescher 400) to Music Go Round for peanuts to find it later with the tenor player of a Ska band who paid more than 3x of what they gave me :) At least it ended up in very good hands!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I've given away a Greg Weir MeYer, anRPC rollover, and a selmer soloist-type piece to students.

I've only sold a dukoff d7, a Beechler 7, a Morgan excalibur, and RPC high baffle alto piece.

The only one I wish I had back is the Morgan.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Berg 130/0 SMS, 105 and 140 tenors, Dukoff D7 tenor, Beechler metal tenor and alto, Link Florida 5* tenor (really miss), RPC tenor, Dukoff D10 soprano, Selmer C* soprano. Yep. I don't know if I'd play them much but they were great pieces.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts

But I did sell my first tenor (Buescher 400) to Music Go Round for peanuts to find it later with the tenor player of a Ska band who paid more than 3x of what they gave me :) At least it ended up in very good hands!
Better start building it now.
I've given more gear away than sold.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I left a Berg 120/3 from the late fifties in the case when I sold my SBA tenor (which I desperately wish I hadn't done) and I sold a Morgan Excalibur 9E which I also regret.
Oh well...

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I sold a short shank Dukoff 4* I wish I hadn’t. Played great but I didn’t play it enough.
I also sold a fantastic short shank Selmer Soloist D to guy on here who had it opened way up. I would’ve kept it I’d known he was going to do that.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Yeah, I hear you. The fact is a lot of players are at a place that they don't even know what they want to sound like. They just know they want to sound better and look to something external rather than internal (like practice). Then when exposed to some aggressive advertising saying "sell your Otto Link, Brilhart, Berg Larsen, etc. This will slay them all" they are persuaded.
Whatever.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Do you have a plot yet? If so would you mind telling me where it's located? A map of the cemetery would be great. It's so I can come and visit you when you're gone.

Right now I'm debating selling my Barone Gold Mainstream 7* made in 2002. I think I put it for sale once a couple of years ago but got no bites so still have it. The main reason for parting with it is really just the money issue since I have so much tied up in sax stuff and as a pensioner am living on a fixed and shrinking amount of money. It's a beautifully made and playing mpc. I just played it the other day against my main mpcs--- a Vintage Brillys Steamline and a HR Personaline, a Vintage Berg SS offset scoopbill that's awesome and a Black Widow---and have begun rethinking selling it. I mean, I'm a hobbiest so why I should need all these tenor mpcs? That's the obvious question, but logic doesn't enter into it obviously so the pro for selling is to get the bucks back out of it and the con because it's a winner and Phil doesn't make them anymore. What to do what to do......brainfreeze.

I also was about to put my HR Brilhart bullet chamber alto piece up for sale but after playing it for a couple of days have decided that it's too good to part with yet even though I have 2 other great alto pieces I play already. More bucks not coming back to papa.

Oh well. I'll leave instructions with my son on how to sell all this gear when I buy the farm. He'll get the money that way rather than me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Makes me sick to think about some of the pieces I sold (gave away for a song), but as another poster stated, I was too novice to realize what I had and it was my inexperience that led me to believe it was the mouthpiece and not me that made me sell them. But it's all water under the bridge now. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Too borrow from the Chairman of the Board:

(mouthpiece) Regrets, I’ve had a few...

Handmade Guardala MB tenor, Beechler Custom alto 7, Vandoren Jumbo Java Blue A95, Brilhart Tonalin in white and a few others. Oh well. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts

That strikes a chord with me, too - especially that ‘68 “Black Beauty” Les Paul Custom (3 pickups) and a sunburst ‘65 Strat. Ah well...

Mouthpieces: all the Barones and Lambersons that have come and gone over the years - I had two solid silver Barones, a Hollywood sop and a Jazz 8. Very cool. Then there was the Otto Link STM 7* that I bought at Ponti’s - a lot of mojo there.

Nah, I don’t NEED any of it.

Happy New Year to everyone. May you have what you need, and want what you have - else sell it!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I sold a bunch recently, some collectable. I took a portion and bought a Bellite I really wanted, as a backup for my Quantum. I also paid for a 613 overhaul, bought a lightweight foam case with a sling, and I have some dry powder left for a baritone mouthpiece upgrade. I don't regret not having them, but one buyer in particular was unreasonably troublesome, obviously looking to re-sell them. I'd rather given them away, than participated in his form of commerce.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
i sold a bunch I wish I had back. 3 berg metal tenors, vintage dukoff brass from the 40s was pretty good. also should have kept a few bellite altos but that's life. I have some really good pieces now but yea it is fun switching up sometimes. I also had a baroness contemporary that I probably should have kept. but hey I'm thankful for having a bunch that play good now. but yea no selling!

·
3,536 Posts
I keep all the great ones. Except for one.
There is only 1 mouthpiece I regret selling. A Meyer New York USA 7S.
What a bad move. It was an absolute holy grail.

I wonder who the lucky new owner is.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
If you don't use them, why not sell them? Is anyone really impressed with anothers mouthpiece collection that doesn't get played?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts