Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sorry ..I'm pushing this video. The guy is killing and the bones are dramatic. nice stuff.. Now i'll shut up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A couple of years ago Evan1 posted this video. I had saved it and emailed to a friend. I was with him when he watched it. His mouth never closed.

Lefty

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Who was it whose tenor Ben Webster grabbed with the words "Man, the horn's not supposed to sound that fast"?

On a Tonalin no less.

That's definitely Norrbotten.
Ever seen or played a Menza mouthpiece? The opposite of a Tonalin.

He commented to a friend of mine, who asked him about it when he started playing it (around the time of the video IIRC), "I just put a harder reed on it." I think his piece before the Tonalin was like 0.130"... I think that Tonalin is an old one that he used to play before he went on the tip-opening quest.

Bottom line - this proves that the player matters more than the piece - just find what you are comfortable with and stick with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
when I started college, my first year Menza played with our jazz band. He brought all his music and played in our section. It was insane. The one thing I'm very proud of is that the practice we had two nights before the gig.... he gave **** to the trombone section, trumpet section, bass player, set player.... EVERYONE. EXCEPT.... for the sax section! He is an AMAZING player.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Thanks! That’s 100% Tabackin, and since Lew was also moonlighting in Dick Cavett’s house band around this time, Menza chaired in the TSB after him(?). Just didn’t know if Menza ever sported a fuller head of hair back in the day and/or he ever grew out a James Harden style beard.

The tenor soloist at 1:56 is Lew Tabackin .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,684 Posts
Thanks! That’s 100% Tabackin, and since Lew was also moonlighting in Dick Cavett’s house band around this time, Menza chaired in the TSB after him(?). Just didn’t know if Menza ever sported a fuller head of hair back in the day and/or he ever grew out a James Harden style beard.
Ha ! :)

Yeah, Lew's kinda hard to miss.. he's had a pretty consistent 'look' the past 40+ years or so .

·
Registered
720 Posts
The entire tune is worth a listen but Don's solo starts at 2:58 and just builds from there. It's off the hook.
https://youtu.be/FQhYQ4aAI6I

1 - 20 of 22 Posts