Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stumbled accross this video of Don Menza playing what looks like a brilhart. I dont know much about Don appart from reading about him in the Art Pepper autobiography and hearing him on one buddy rich album. Is he still alive? He's playing killing on this video! And what a sound out of that Brilhart! Its deffinatly not Getz!!!!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/savelonp/video/x1dqyc_don-menza-groovin-hard

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
well, I had never heard of Don Menza before
http://www.jazzprofessional.com/interviews/don_menza.htm
but the this cat really rocks! It is very funny (in a way) to see the second tenor Oliver Peters (or something like that) who has to follow the Menza solo with his and he struggles (playing better that I probably ever will) to keep the same pace the Menza locomotive had been setting.
Bags of energy and great creativity with a very minimum of gimmiks.
Respect!:cool:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah looks like a Tonalin, bit of Prez in Don,s playing.The chord sequence reminds me of My Groove-Your Move Hank Mobley

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Terrific video!!! Thanks for sharing this find. Don Menza is a MONSTER, there is no other way to say it. His cadenza at the end of "Channel One Suite" by the Buddy Rich band is legendary. Check it out.

I had heard that he used a Tonalin on his Keilwerth at one time and it was nice to see and hear this set-up in action (something tells me I'll be putting my Tonalin on my SX-90R tonight;) )

Don Menza is also a wonderful composer and arranger. I'm in a big band that plays "Groovin' Hard", which is Menza's chart. It's tough, particularly the sax soli, but it really swings.

To paraphrase Tim Price....Don Menza needs your ears.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Bob M said:
Terrific video!!! Thanks for sharing this find. Don Menza is a MONSTER, there is no other way to say it. His cadenza at the end of "Channel One Suite" by the Buddy Rich band is legendary. Check it out.

I had heard that he used a Tonalin on his Keilwerth at one time and it was nice to see and hear this set-up in action (something tells me I'll be putting my Tonalin on my SX-90R tonight;) )
Nothing like inspiration, eh ?:)

That was some classic Menza.
Put it in a timecapsule for future generations to marvel at.:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
The other tenor player; Oliver Peters was also very good- looked like they
were having a lot of fun trading choruses/bars/phrases ..

BTW- Don's son Nick Menza is the drummer in MEGADEATH; a metal band.:shock: :D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
It's Megadeth (we don't want to confuse them with death metal artists), and they're really good in their genre. It takes a lot of skill to play speed metal---especially the drumming.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great clip, thanks for that. "Groovin' Hard" is a staple in the books of Monday night big bands everywhere -- easy to hear why.

Looks like the WDR band's lead alto is playing a Brilhart also.

I recently picked up Menza's live big band CD "Menza Lines" and enjoyed it a lot.

OT: Bob, what band are you with?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I though Oliver Peters did a fine job. I didn't think he was struggling - it's clear that these guys are coming out or different styles. I like the Peters comes is slow and thoughtful. A less mature player (like myself) would have tried to hit the ground BURNING and run out of stuff to play after 1 chorus.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
jebtha-

The SOS Big Band out of Cumberland, RI

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
ZenBen said:
Look how much mouthpiece he takes in. Phil Barone would be proud!!!

(and a very loose embouchure too)
I noticed the same thing. He's taking in the whole beak. Very interesting to watch, chops-wise.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I used to here him quite a bit when he lived here in Vegas in the early 90s. In fact, I played a gig with him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Very nice playing! Also dug the Carmen quote from Frank Chastenier! I could only pull that off with the love theme from Sheherazade.... is that martysax on 1st tenor?!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts