Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine most of you have seen the fantastic video of the live "Saxophone Workshop" concert with Michael Brecker, Ernie Watts, Bill Evans, and Stanley Turrentine on saxes. If not, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itF_wiFaiLU (it's the first 4 minutes or so of the video)

Don Grolnick rearranged some of his charts for this performance, and as far as I know, there's no sheet music available for this specific arrangement... until now.

I've finished my transcription/arrangement of this monstrous chart! Instrumentation is Soprano, Alto, Tenor 1, Tenor 2, Piano, Ac. Bass, and Drums. Grolnick's arrangement is really great – lots of nice-sounding close voicings, especially between the two tenors.

Like in the video, there's a solo piano intro, and an alto solo near the end of the chart.

Because the original recording fades out on a sax solo and the live video segues straight into "Pools" after this chart, I've written in a simple recapitulation and conclusion so it can work as a standalone chart. I'm working on "Pools" as I type this, so I might eventually splice them together like in the video to create the entire performance.

I'm also transcribing Ernie Watt's crazy alto solo on this, so I'll make another thread for that when it's done.

PM or email me if you would like a PDF of this chart. I know you'll enjoy it!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Great stuff! I noticed Ernie was using a Saxxas ligature on his alto.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody, I am Sara and I write form Italy. I'm desperatly looking for the cd "selective live saxophone workshop the four sleppers fo 1989". Could somebody tell me how can i buy it? I can't find it in internet anywhere.
Thank you very much for your help. If you want,you can write me at the e-mail address [email protected]
Thank so much

Sara

1 - 20 of 20 Posts