·
Registered
104 Posts
Snap.
Here are my two
20200221_162903.jpg

A Universal alto (serial 81xxxM70)
20200221_162915.jpg

An early series 2 (serial 24xxx, so circa 1945?)
20200221_162940.jpg

Sorry that they are lying on their sides.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,705 Posts
Your tenor looks like mine which is serial no. 25,xxx. Mine still needs an overhaul so it doesn't play at the moment .

How would you describe the sound of yours on it's own and [maybe] in comparison to other tenors you've played ?

Is that a Theo Wanne mpc. ?

Snap.
Here are my two
View attachment 254086

A Universal alto (serial 81xxxM70)
View attachment 254088

An early series 2 (serial 24xxx, so circa 1945?)
View attachment 254090

Sorry that they are lying on their sides.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your tenor looks like mine which is serial no. 25,xxx. Mine still needs an overhaul so it doesn't play at the moment .

How would you describe the sound of yours on it's own and [maybe] in comparison to other tenors you've played ?

Is that a Theo Wanne mpc. ?
Yes, its a mk1 Gaia... (with a 5* tip size).

Mine is in the middle of an overhaul, I had to make a new octave mechanism before I started, and when I got the Sax (ebay for parts) it was in very bad shape so I had no idea if it was even worth doing up. Now I have installed Musicmedic soft feel pads with plastic resonators, and replaced all the needle springs (half were broken, and the rest badly rusted). I am slowly replacing the corks, regulating and setting it all up (using Curt Altarac balanced venting method, and uppers, lowers, mids intonation guide from Musicmedics web site). So far I have got from low D to octave C# all within +/- 3 cents of each other, so I am very pleased. Low C is a bit flat, but I should be able to fix that by lowering the height of low B ( and fixing the leak on both low B and low Bb which i saw just as I quit for today). I will worry about the palm keys next week.

Hard for me to define the sound. I learnt on a Selmer (series 2) 20 years ago, but stopped after about 4 years due to work pressures. When I started again 10 years ago, I bought a Yamaha (YTS61 mk 1), but again, it ended up in the closet after a few years. Added to that, I suck at music (my kids tell me I have no sense of rhythm or tune), so I only play for myself. Also sound is a very personal thing, and depends on lots of factors (ie MPC etc). I just want to express the sounds that are in my heads, so I am lookung for blues and gospel type of sound.

So far, I think I can say the Dolnet is very easy to blow, with all three of my MPC's (Yamaha 4C, Selmer S80 C* and the Gaia). It seems very flexible and should lend itself to a variety of different styles. I feel the sound is very smooth (unlike the brashness of the Yamaha). The keywork is very light, just the pinky table needs getting used to.

I think the larger chamber of the Gaia is needed as the other two sound a bit 'thin'. I am really happy with the Gaia, its great on both my Weltklang and the Dolnet.

So, its going well, and i am in general really happy with it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So far I have got from low D to octave C# all within +/- 3 cents of each other, !
I think I was over optimistic there... I must have been automatically adjusting my embrochure.

More tests today showed that it is more like 15 cents between the best and worst notes ( 8 cents for the octave upper stack) so I still have lots of work to do

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
DTS-03.jpg

finally - a nice silver Belair tenor enroute from Europe :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
No not silver plated - just silver coloured nickel plate. I came close to buying your tenor actually all that time ago. I now have three nickel plated Dolnet's :) and one with decidedly bad lacquer wear.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,244 Posts
No not silver plated - just silver coloured nickel plate. I came close to buying your tenor actually all that time ago. I now have three nickel plated Dolnet's :) and one with decidedly bad lacquer wear.
I still miss that tenor, should never have sold it.
The nickel plate ones are nice(always liked a silver coloured horn).
I have an old SML rev A in silver plate.
Although I never really play alto, I can’t let this one go.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I still miss that tenor, should never have sold it.
The nickel plate ones are nice(always liked a silver coloured horn).
I have an old SML rev A in silver plate.
Although I never really play alto, I can’t let this one go.
I can understand that easily. A silver SML would be a difficult companion to say good-bye to. I have a 1920 L.Pierret soprano I never play. The horn deserves better so this will more than likely be gifted as a 21st birthday present for that oft mentioned young local musician I have been supporting. I have a silver SML Super 44 alto that will be mentioned in my will :) hopefully not too soon heh heh heh

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,244 Posts
I can understand that easily. A silver SML would be a difficult companion to say good-bye to. I have a 1920 L.Pierret soprano I never play. The horn deserves better so this will more than likely be gifted as a 21st birthday present for that oft mentioned young local musician I have been supporting. I have a silver SML Super 44 alto that will be mentioned in my will :) hopefully not too soon heh heh heh
Feel free to PM me for the proper spelling of my name for the will.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,336 Posts
In my opinion your studium is a weltklang but I just saw another Dolnet which was certainly not made by them

this is very likely made in Italy by Santoni , note the Malerne-sque Eb-C and the left hand plateau ( a bit Orsi like).

while this is a Super Studium, certainly made in Asia, probably very early Taiwan
1620116342395.png

·
Registered
Martin Indiana tenor sax. Yamaha 5 C mouthpiece, Rico Metalite 7 mouthpiece. Use synthetic reeds.
215 Posts
Is there any difference in sound of the Dolnet made by various companies? I am wondering what this unlacquered sax will sound like.

·
40,336 Posts
well, of course there is, they are different horns!

A sax is not boud to sound any different because it is unlacquered versus a lacquered one but it will certainly sound different if it is of a different internal design (as all these above, apparently made all by different companies!)

·
Registered
Martin Indiana tenor sax. Yamaha 5 C mouthpiece, Rico Metalite 7 mouthpiece. Use synthetic reeds.
215 Posts
Alright. Good to know. I have heard a Dolnet stadium tenor sax on YouTube. Should listen a Weltkang sax on YouTube too for a more accurate sax sound. Any suggestions for a soft case. It does not quite fit in the SKB case. Do I need to buy the Protec XL contoured soft case instead?

·
40,336 Posts
I don’t think that it would need an XL case , by the way the Protec XL contour is a n hard case, with wooden multiplex shell, they make semirigid ones but I would not recommend them

141 - 160 of 162 Posts