Sax on the Web Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,705 Posts
No one can be sure of the date of any Dolnet (unless it comes with the original purchase documents) because there are no charts showing the SN= Production Year. The archives were destroyed and they used the same SM for all woodwind and brass which they sold. We don’t even have any idea of the significance (or not) of the letters in the Serial, the only one are the M70 ( and Universal) which start with M70... .
Yeah, I gathered that.. that nailing down the date of manufacture is a challenge.

So, I wonder how Kritavi was able to determine that the one he owned was made in 1950 ?

Anyway I was looking at the old Saxpics site for some other examples of this vintage .

The one I bought has a brace on the neck while the slightly later one; tho'
otherwise similar, dropped the neck brace.

Also, it appears that the bell is little more inline on mine whereas the later one
has it's bell canted slightly, forward .

http://saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=1405

In any case, I'm Hoping mine turns out to be a great player .

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,338 Posts
some folks got annedoctical dating ( someone told them they bought it in year so and so or there was a guarantee with the horn they bought, however also that dating is an approximation because the original buyer might not remember exactly or the guarantee refers to the date of purchase but not the one of production and they base their date attribution upon this. If you think that many companies ( Orsi and Rampone) often are, at best, able to narrow down the production to a decade this annedoctical method is as good as any.

·
4,705 Posts
some folks got annedoctical dating ( someone told them they bought it in year so and so or there was a guarantee with the horn they bought, however also that dating is an approximation because the original buyer might not remember exactly or the guarantee refers to the date of purchase but not the one of production and they base their date attribution upon this. If you think that many companies ( Orsi and Rampone) often are, at best, able to narrow down the production to a decade this annedoctical method is as good as any.
I see what you mean.. makes sense .

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a tenor en route [..not sure of the year]that I'm hoping has some of that flavor, but it will need an overhaul .
Always wanted to try a Dolnet .. this one has a serial # of 25,xxx.

Some preliminary rough photos here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolnet-Saxo...3f7e6fd06:g:Qt0AAOSwpLNYBYAA&autorefresh=true
Hey there! Do you even know the model? interesting sax... it seems to have no engraving right? send some pics of the pinky table after u get it... and nize looking mouthpiece as well!

·
4,705 Posts
Hey there! Do you even know the model? interesting sax... it seems to have no engraving right? send some pics of the pinky table after u get it... and nize looking mouthpiece as well!
I don't know what the model number is of this particular vintage, no. The mpc. looks like a
metal Meyer 5J -- never played one before .

Here's a pic of the pinky table from another tenor of a similar vintage.. looks like a 10M

http://saxpics.com/cpg143/albums/Dolnet/seriesii/tenor/silver/example1/dol5.JPG

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't know what the model number is of this particular vintage, no. The mpc. looks like a
metal Meyer 5J -- never played one before .

Here's a pic of the pinky table from another tenor of a similar vintage.. looks like a 10M

http://saxpics.com/cpg143/albums/Dolnet/seriesii/tenor/silver/example1/dol5.JPG
Can't open the link. But, of all dolnets ive seen on internet, they all have have the same pinky table shown by artstove on the 7th picture except the M70.

Your one is to old to be an m70 i would say, so it will probably have the same pinky table as the rest of dolnets. MEYER 5J is a goooooooooood moutpiece and a great add to your purchase i would say.

My dolnet camed with the original mouthpiece which gives it a very vintage sound but i cant get much control on it since it has a very small entrance. My teacher borrowed me a vandoren v5 or smth and i like the sound...but the sax dosen't. lol. The sound is really nize in all the high register and almost every low one as well but It gets a terrible when i reach the E, F and F# low notes like if the air was going god knows where. But it gets great again as soon i get the D note. Need to try diff mouthpieces

·
4,705 Posts
Can't open the link. But, of all dolnets ive seen on internet, they all have have the same pinky table shown by artstove on the 7th picture except the M70.

Your one is to old to be an m70 i would say, so it will probably have the same pinky table as the rest of dolnets.
Later models have the rounded G# key on the LH spatula but this one looks more like a Conn 10M's G#

·
Registered
506 Posts
Later models have the rounded G# key on the LH spatula but this one looks more like a Conn 10M's G#

No exactly... mine one is a universal tenor from the 70s or 80s (not possible to detereminate) and it has the same pinky table as your one. But the previous model, the m70, has the rounded G# key you are talking about...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
Need to try diff mouthpieces
I am using an Aizen copy of a Brilhart Hard Rubber (I think the tip is around a .100 or .105) on mine, and it is easy to blow and gives me a sound I like; before that I was using a Berg Larsen HR 105-ish/1, and that worked well also, but with a bit thinner sound in the higher range to my ears.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
35 years ago I was chatting with saxophonist Mal Capewell (Aus Blues / Rock scene) about saxophones coz' I wanted to get me' one. One piece of his advice I will never forget was "Dolnets' are great horns, Dolphin's are not". Here I am 35 years later and today I get my first Dolnet (Paris) alto sax which I've dated to 1955. It's in good physical condition with only two small dings and a slightly bent octave post, great pads but in need of regulation. However....a rather terrible case of "red rot" has all but destroyed it's appearance (can't even read the Do of Dolnet) but its power and tonal characteristics remain especially with a large chamber vintage mouthpiece. I've likened the warmth and richness of its tone to my mid 20's Buescher T-T. I've had my eye on another Dolnet Paris alto (coz' I got this one quite affordably) and will most likely acquire this other oneo and off load the original to the daughter of close friends for whom I have purchased a number of saxes. I'd love a silver plated model!!!!!

Glenn

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am the proud owner of a silver plated Dolnet Bel Air Tenor #58xxx. I purchased it in playing condition. It is still on its way here. I will post some pics when it arrives.

TCK123

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I am still a bit sad that my first sax teacher (in the late 1970's) had me sell my Dolnet alto, because "Dolnets are junk". I'll never find out if it was a great horn or not. Sometimes I think about picking up a Dolnet, but I already have more instruments than I need ;)

If today's information would have been so easily available then, it might have gone completely different! :p

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
apologies for the delay but here they are - my two nickel plated Dolnet altos :) The immediately recognisable "Universal" model and a very early vintage model. Surprisingly these sound very similar to one another. I am admittedly delighted to have these. Every time I see a silver / nickel plated tenor I check my bank account ;-)

Attachments

121 - 140 of 162 Posts