Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
That's a hoot!
Used to have a Westie who would "sing" along with Respighi's Ancient Airs & Dances... nothing else. Must have been her favorite. :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
I liked the videos. Always enjoy any video with dogs. Funny thing, both my dogs leave the room the moment I pick up the sax but stay and sleep when I play clarinet. HMMMmmmm.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Part of the reason I had my horn put away for years (13 or so) was that I married a woman whose dog had epilepsy that would go into seizures when I started blowing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Mine sings to soprano, but walks out for anything else. How come audiences are so picky?

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
First, to AdamsAutoAdvice...I'm owned by a black tricolor Aussie (my bestest dog EVER and going on 13 years old) and a Aussie/Border/Something I inherited from a friend, and I have to commend you on your excellent taste in dogs. Herding breeds are the best.

As for the singing.... my boy Dexter has been known to sing along with my alto, or my piccolo, or with lead trumpet players at rehearsals. It's not a regular thing, so I haven't been able to get any video, but I'd just chalk it up as one-of-those-cool-things-dogs-do, and enjoy it for as long as they hear well enough to join in. :)

Edit: Your guys really seem to be well-loved. :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
well this is a classic............... from " Pink Floyd live at Pompeii "

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine sings to soprano, but walks out for anything else. How come audiences are so picky?
My dogs will do that sometimes too. I can't get them to sing no matter what I play.

Herding breeds are the best.

Edit: Your guys really seem to be well-loved. :mrgreen:
Cody and Sierra are English Shepherds. They are great dogs and definitely very smart. They also get a lot of love!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
I have been dog sitting my 'Grandpuppy' Tilly, a Collie/? since October while her 'Daddy' was in Afghanistan and her 'Mommy' went through BMT and Tech School. Both are currently serving in the Air Force.
She is a singer. It doesn't matter if I'm practicing clarinet, sax, or flute. She sings. LOUDLY.
When I stop to change music she sits and stares at the horn waiting for me to start playing again.
Boyd, our Westie is more of a listener.
Tilly should be reunited with her parents sometime between the end of June to the middle of July depending on when Mom is done with tech school and can join Dad at their new base assignment.
I'll miss her vocal accompaniment.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
not to be offensive but i clearly do not like this videos... Even for humans saxophone can be a loud instrument so for dogs i'm sure it is way worse...
on the case of the clarinet and the dogs sleep is on the thing, but with the tenor and "the singing" is not very cool....
Everytime i start playing my horns i send way from the room my dog and my cat...i know that they would stay there if i let them, but i do it for them anyway.

I can enjoy my pets in other time, and they will be happy with that.

Again, i'm not being offensive (or at least this is not my intention).

·
831 Posts
^^^ I figure if my dog didn't like to sing she would walk away. She clearly walked up to the bell of the horn to sing. It doesn't seem to me like it hurts her hearing at all, but I'm not an audiologist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,019 Posts
When I was a kid practicing my clarinet, 1 of our 2 dogs would sit beside me and sing. She clearly was drawn to it. The other dog didn't care. I've had several dogs over the years, but none that liked to sing as much as that one. My current pooch leaves the room when she sees me take out the tenor, but doesn't move off the couch when I start playing the bari. She continues to nap about 6 feet away from the horn.

If dogs could talk, they might tell us that some are just more musical than others -- like people.

·
19,204 Posts
not to be offensive but i clearly do not like this videos... Even for humans saxophone can be a loud instrument so for dogs i'm sure it is way worse...
on the case of the clarinet and the dogs sleep is on the thing, but with the tenor and "the singing" is not very cool....
Everytime i start playing my horns i send way from the room my dog and my cat...i know that they would stay there if i let them, but i do it for them anyway.

I can enjoy my pets in other time, and they will be happy with that.

Again, i'm not being offensive (or at least this is not my intention).
If you are playing so loud that you are worried about your pets' hearing I would suggest that you purchase hearing protection for yourself.
If it's loud enough to damage theirs, it's loud enough to damage yours.

·
831 Posts
When I play my flute, the dogs will come in and it will put them to sleep. They really seem to like the flute.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If you are playing so loud that you are worried about your pets' hearing I would suggest that you purchase hearing protection for yourself.

you clearly do not know what you're talking about lol

·
19,204 Posts
you clearly do not know what you're talking about lol
And why do you say this? Are you a veteranarian?
Have you talked to your vet about this issue? I have!

·
19,204 Posts
Really?
And they didn't tell you that casual practicing of the saxophone, or any other instrument for that matter, falls within the decibel levels concidered safe for canines, felines, rodentia, and humans?
They may have some discomfort when going into the higher frequency ranges of altissimo or the piccolo, but that's a different situation all together.
I can play my clarinet so quietly that it's nearly inaudible and the Tilly Dog will still sing. Now tell me how that is damaging her hearing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts