Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or have they been replaced by the 991 and just left on their website for reference? If they do still make them, do any of you know of any place that carries them? I've called a few local places, but no one seemed to know much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I thought the 981 was their sopranino.......:? The SN-981......was there an S-981 too?

·
Registered
957 Posts
No, it still exists. It's like a S991 without high G. And here in France it is almost 400 euros cheaper !

·
Registered
790 Posts
Innuendo said:
I've found it on two sites, but it would be cheaper for me to just buy the 991 here in the US.
Matthews has the 981 for around 2550 usd + shipping. Kessler (just looked at one US seller) sells the 991 for 2800, so looking for a 991 in the US is probably a better call.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is still made. But i dont know why, its not a 991 without a g key, its a 901 with a detachable neck and if you are going to spend that why not go for the 991 for only a little more.
I understand people picking the 901 because its a lighter brighter one piece but i dont actually see how the 981 fits in the market. Can anyone shed any light???

I play a 992 personally and its the best sop i have ever played

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi I'm looking at a 902 or a 992. Doe the one piece model give a brighter sound then, jonathanbyrnes? Is it also lighter (I get a lot of tension in my right thumb)?

And i'd like to understand how the 981 compares to the 901 and 991 too (budget might not stretch to a 9X2!).

If its like a 901 with a detachable neck then its still a great horn?

Also, can anyone comment on the merrits of the 901S (silver finish) over the 901? Different sound?

Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts