Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. This is a recording I made at my house. I don't really associate with other musicians anymore and was kinda looking for some input on it. Input on the recording/orchestration, etc is also what I am looking for. I don't really know much about that stuff and this is all the result of trial and error. And if you listen, try and listen past the intro to where the song actually starts. Thanks! Criticism is welcome. I'm a big kid, I can take it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMOhg1UupHs

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
No, it doesn't suck. Actually it sounds good. Nice modern smooth jazz sound to it. I'd back off some on the reverb. I think sometimes reverb is used for covering up for bad intonation. You sound fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. I know what you are talking about. I use it as a crutch for a lack of a proper recording space. If I use less you hear a lot of "the room" which sounds terrible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
No suck in that. I liked it, and I like your sound. You sound like a pro player to me, and you have a nice touch on the horn. I actually like the effects too. Right off the bat, though, I found myself wishing you would not use vibrato as much, or else work on it to make it a little faster and not as broad. So, what's your set-up?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Wow,

Mad World on sax. It have two versions of that song on my iPod already. And I'd love to have this too. This is good stuff....

PS: I love the homemade bike too. :bluewink:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi guys. This is a recording I made at my house. I don't really associate with other musicians anymore and was kinda looking for some input on it. Input on the recording/orchestration, etc is also what I am looking for. I don't really know much about that stuff and this is all the result of trial and error. And if you listen, try and listen past the intro to where the song actually starts. Thanks! Criticism is welcome. I'm a big kid, I can take it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMOhg1UupHs
Ya must be kidding... I'd buy your CD, anytime...

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is a great song and with no suck at all! The intro was a bit spread out but the style and sound is great! Whatever you did, you did it right!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The amount of reverb sounds fine to me. And that contemporary full tone is awesome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Very good indeed.
I too approve of the reverb..... it gives that "Lonely late night in New York" impression.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow!! Thanks guys. I'm flattered. Kind of expected to be lambasted by the smooth jazz police but so far no dice, lol. As far as the reverb goes, I guess different strokes for different folks. I think some people believe that almost any reverb is too much, and I realize that I'm never going to make them happy.

On a seperate note, does anybody know anything about "phasing"? When I listen to this track in my vehicle, the horn sounds TERRIBLY "tinny". Sounds like one channel is somehow interfering with the other. Worse in my car than at home for some reason. A car stereo guy I knew said to reverse the polarity on one speaker channel. I never tried it but I did notice the other night when playing around with my mastering software (wavelab, another thing I know ZERO about) that I could reverse the phase of the right channel and INSTANTLY the horn sounded much clearer and somehow different. Whats going on here?? Should I do this??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts