Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling a horn on Craigslist for the first time, and I know there are scams. This person emailed me a couple of hours after I listed and asked if the item was still for sale and asked that I answer ASAP. I said yes and then he sends this:

"Thanks for the prompt response and i will love to make an instant
purchase,i hope it is in good condition like it stated, i have taken a
close look at the advert,and am completely satisfied so please do
withdraw the advert from Craigslist.I don,t mind adding an extra $40
for you to take the advert down from criagslist, so that i can
be rest assured that am in hand of the item.I will also like you to
know that i will be paying via CERTIFIED CHECK OR MONEY ORDER and
it will be an over night payment... You don,t need to bother
your self with the shippment ok,I will take care of that myself.... So
I will need you to provide me with the following information to
facilitate the mailing of the payment....

1.Name to be on the check

2.Home address

3.Telephone

4.Your state,city and zip code

**Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible
for shipping of this item . my shipper will move down to your place
for the pick up...as soon as the check clear. hope you assure me in
hand of the item... Have a nice day...

--
Thanks
you are blessed

--
thanks you and have a great day

--
thanks you and have a great day"

I've never sold on craigslist before but something about this didn't feel right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Run like the wind (well...just ignore, it's easier :TGNCHK:).

Anytime I list something on CL and I get a generic response that doesn't indicate they know what I'm selling, I just ignore the email and move on. There's getting to be so much SPAM on CL it's even more of a pain than usual.

But in addition to that, I never ship anything I list on CL (I guess I'm old school like that). The whole reason I list there is because it's free and I don't have to deal with shipping. It cuts down on dealing with spam, and helps me avoid deadbeats who get me to pack up a sax/instrument and never pay (which actually happened with a forum member who flips horns :evil:).

·
2,077 Posts
Did this person ever refer specifically to what you are selling? Or did they refer to it as "the item"?

·
2,853 Posts
Why would you want to do what the buyer says on craigslist or anywhere? You have your set method of selling and shipping and that's all there is to it. A buyer should not dictate your sale.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Selling a clarinet. The guy never mentions the clarinet, he just calls it the item. Yeah, I was pretty suspicious of this, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't turning down something legit. He came up as "henrry david" in my inbox.

·
2,384 Posts
I don't smell a scam AT ALL -- but that might be because I'm kind of giddy right now: I've just learned that a relative of mine -- someone I didn't even know! -- died in a car crash in Nigeria, and is leaving me millions of dollars! I've spent all morning getting my banking info to the Top Government Official who's handling the transaction!

·
2,853 Posts
I don't smell a scam AT ALL -- but that might be because I'm kind of giddy right now: I've just learned that a relative of mine -- someone I didn't even know! -- died in a car crash in Nigeria, and is leaving me millions of dollars! I've spent all morning getting my banking info to the Top Government Official who's handling the transaction!
Send me your name, address phone number and only $500K and I'll send you the Brooklyn Bridge. Wait a minute...... you are in New York. You already have that. I'll send the Golden Gate bridge.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've gotten that email as well. What a coincidence? :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Any C'list response which is lengthier than a maximum of 3 sentences ....."Still available ?....I'd like to come see it; where in the city are you ?...any room in the price ?"

....or something like that...I just ignore.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
...that might be because I'm kind of giddy right now: I've just learned that a relative of mine -- someone I didn't even know! -- died in a car crash in Nigeria, and is leaving me millions of dollars! I've spent all morning getting my banking info to the Top Government Official who's handling the transaction!
That's very cold-hearted of you to be celebrating the death of a relative....:tsk:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hey man I get the same kind of responses every time i list something on a site like craigslist here in Switzerland. They have more or less the same text, it's in French, the IP address is UK or USA, they have a list (1. 2. 3. ...) of things I should do and they never ever mention what exactly they want to buy (like saxophone).
BTW every time it's from a different address.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Just ask him to send cash with the pick-up person or to use paypal. He will probably disappear at that point. Certified checks and money orders are the most common counterfeit types these days. Much easier than money to reproduce authentically. They will clear your account for about a week - by the time they bounce back, the buyer is long gone.

·
2,596 Posts
Scam - I got basically the same thing multiple times. Even including the offer to take care of shipping - for a sailboat! Either ignore it, or tell them to send cash in person with their "shipper." F**king parasites.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just for kicks I asked him how long he's been playing. He replied

"PLAYING WHAT PLS???????????????

--
thanks you and have a great day

Henry"

·
Registered
472 Posts
As a matter of protection, I never send my info to anyone when selling something on Craigslist. I have a dummy email set up for craigslist transactions and they must send their personal information to me...not the other way around. Otherwise I won't do business with them. And when I call them, I use Skype so that they don't get my home number. Cash only and I'll meet them in a McDonalds parking lot during day time only. Never had a problem and never lost a sale because of my "nervous demeanor".

·
2,596 Posts
Just for kicks I asked him how long he's been playing. He replied

"PLAYING WHAT PLS???????????????
I did a similar thing with the sailboat I was selling - asked a couple innocuous questions about experience/intended use or something (he already had my e-mail). My scammer was less polite - came back with something about how I had a lot of nerve asking such questions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts