Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for software that allows me to scan a piece of sheet music, select the key I want it changed to and then print it out? Is that too much to ask for? I see plenty of programs but they are much more involved than what I actually need. Sure appreciate any suggestions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,434 Posts
What you are looking for is a subsection of OCR ( Optical Character Recognition ) called OMR ( Optical Music Recognition)

I don’t have direct experience with OMR but you may educate yourself on the matter. There is a profound difference in applying OMR to printed music and to handwritten music (you need to operate lots of manual corrections for the latter)

here a article and a podcast

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,801 Posts
Musescore will allow you to scan a PDF of sheet music, then you can change the key and print/export it as you see fit.

www.musescore.org

·
Registered
376 Posts
Musescore may be the most affordable and can do this, but I know Finale can, too. (but more expensive)

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,801 Posts
Musescore may be the most affordable and can do this, but I know Finale can, too. (but more expensive)
I would say free is pretty affordable :)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
To the best of my knowledge Finale discontinued it's scanning feature in 2016. I know the version I have doesn't have that capability.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,620 Posts
Musescore is pretty good. And yes, FREE.

You should be able to scan a page, save as .pdf, then import into Musescore.

·
Registered
YTS-82Z, B-992, ‘Crat 1 alto
1,181 Posts
I recently got the free versions of Sibelius and PhotoScore. The latter can read sheet music from pdf, either printed or handwritten, and then enable you to edit it to make corrections, etc. Then it permits you to “send“ it to Sibelius where you can transpose keys, among many other things.

There is a slight learning curve, but even I was able to figure out most of how to use it.

PhotoScore doesn‘t import everything, e.g., crescendo notations, etc., but you can add these in Sibelius. I have found some PDFs that it couldn’t read, but only a very small percentage. It has more problems with unclear PDFs and when there are multiple parts written in one staff, but overall works great IMHO.

I was pleasantly surprised by just how much you can do with the free versions of these apps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,906 Posts
I'm looking for software that allows me to scan a piece of sheet music, select the key I want it changed to and then print it out? Is that too much to ask for? I see plenty of programs but they are much more involved than what I actually need. Sure appreciate any suggestions.
There will always be some editing necessary. I use ScanScore to scan pdf's to xml and import that in Dorico for further editing. Scanscore is handy because it has a mobile app that connects to your computer and reads pictures of scores directly. Having said that, result vary greatly depending on the quality of the original score, and editing the pdf to xml can be fiddly. An app that does what you describe without any further editing simply does not exist (yet).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Musescore is good, over time I found it limiting and somewhat klutzy when I tried to do something like the scan and transpose procedure asked for here.

I was mostly interested in an app that would let me produce clear lead sheets, parts, etc. In this regard, check out Notation app for iOS. Addressing my particular interest with musescore has a learning curve and always produced some glitches when I was at the helm. Your brain is translating from one artificial sign set to another. With Notation you’re just writing manuscript. And you get clean publish level manuscript. And you can transpose the lead sheet, part, etc. You’ll need to use the pen entry mode. Notation is not without its problems, just happens to be the solution that works best for me for the task most needed for me. FWIW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use ScanScore to get it into the computer and remove scanning bugs.
This can be quite fiddly, especially with multiple layers.
I then import into MuseScore for final editing and transposing.
Transposing in MuseScore is a breeze.
I can't compare this to any other tools/processes as I have no other tool experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts