Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I think it is a Martin Handcraft split bell.

The left hand keys would show if it has a front f, which would be the best.

In addition, there were a large variety of left pinkie key tables, and a look at those would be an indicator as to how deluxe the model version it might be.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,960 Posts
Ah, that looks familiar. We’ve seen that neck before.

Of course, most everything is restorable. Do you you have a technician in your region to work on all these horns you are discovering?

See the gallery of past work by Aaron Barnard at Barnardrepair.com to get an idea of what’s possible. I recall that Aaron restored a flattened Mk VI.

Only you can decide whether to collect horns that have no value to anyone else, which repair would cost well beyond the accepted value of the instrument. It’s a philosophical question to some, I’m sure. Should old horns be scrapped or screwed to the wall in a diner, or should one seek to rescue anything, and everything, salvageable?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,446 Posts
Whatever the material is on the neck, presumably solder, it could be heated and removed. Then the neck would simply be re-shaped and repaired as needed. Probably about a $200 job.

·
32,960 Posts
Whatever the material is on the neck, presumably solder, it could be heated and removed. Then the neck would simply be re-shaped and repaired as needed. Probably about a $200 job.
... if you have someone capable of the work, willing to do the work. I look forward to living near a good technician, but right now everything requiring any level of work like that has to be shipped - an added expense that colors my perspective on exhuming horns that are that unplayable.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
Someone reminds me of my four year old grandson who constantly is asking "What's this?"

·
32,960 Posts
Someone reminds me of my four year old grandson who constantly is asking "What's this?"
What do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhinoceros?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts