Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a guy down in the French Quarter playing alto and he had a very nice and very loud sound. He was playing in the street by the Cafe DuMonde. He said he played in CoolBone who I kind of like (brass band hip hop). I looked at his sax and it was a Conn 20M - something middle school player might own. He did have a metal mpc which might be worth more than the sax. So what's the deal, I got a new sax, should I get a new mpc?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
The player, then the mouthpiece/reed, neck, then sax, is what makes the sound!

Notice that player and mouthpiece are top 2!

A very nice mouthpiece can make a Bundy sound good! A great player on a very nice mothpiece onb that bundy can sound awesome!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I think too. But my new YAS 62 sounds so much better than my old piece of junk. To be fair, the Conn 20M looked brand new. I bet he got from some kid who quit after a month. I should have asked him if had a better sax at home. There is a guy in my town (Mobile AL) who sometimes plays on the street with a old YAS 23. He sounds great too.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I doubt you could hear any of the more subtle nuances a better sax could have brought to the guy's tone in the street anyways.

Was the guy wearing a boat captain kind of hat?

The equipment you play does make a difference if you're good enough for it to make a difference.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Magical pig,

That's the guy. The hat said Coolbone, but I really wonder if he played with Coolbone.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, magical pig, are you from New Orleans? Do you play Trad? I usually play (jazz banjo) with Hack the trumpet player at the Cafe DuMonde, but he wasn't there last Saturday. My daughter goes to Loyola and I get downs there about once a month.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
The saxophone is a tool. Just like a great carpenter is a craftsman regardless of the tools he is using, it sure helps to have great quality tools in that box. The saxophone can facilitate better tone, technique, and intonation. Does having a great instrument make you a master craftsman, clearly the answer is no- but it does help you be the best you can be.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson: Shaping the Blues Scale
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Podcast Samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtrax
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0

·
Banned
593 Posts
go read the tone stuff about all the stuff they say doesnt matter but cant seem to quantify what does.

for totally different reasons, id buy the best horn you can afford and take good care of it. get one you like the looks of and the keys seem ergonomically correct to you.

make sure you like the sound of it too.

and dnt worry about what other people say

1 - 9 of 9 Posts