Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the Rico 73% packs (with the case) for about a while now. I love how the Rico case keeps the reeds from warping, but for quite a while I've been having problems with my reeds seeming extremely stuffy. I don't remember how my reeds behaved before I used this case, but I noticed that I grab a random reed that I haven't played in a long time that hasn't been stored in the Rico case (I play Vandorens and the reeds I'm not currently using go back into the plastic cases they're sold in), they play much better. The tables of the reeds are invariably quite warped, but even so they seem to play much better. I haven't actually stopped using the Rico case yet (Maybe too preoccupied with theory over practice?), but I wanted to know if anyone else has had a problem like this. A lot of people seem to love the Rico case, but is there any chance it's just not letting my reeds dry out enough? I might try the lowest humidity level (73 is the middle one, I think) to see how that goes. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
In order for the Vitalizer to work properly, I would advise making sure the back of the reeds are flat, and that the reeds are properly balanced, before putting them into the bag.

I find that unbalanced reeds with warped backs will invariably become quite stuffy in a humidity-controlled container, but properly adjusted reeds will retain their positive characteristics much longer.

There are various methods available for reed adjustment; I use several, including the Ridenour ATG system for balancing, and the Reed Geek to flatten the backs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts