Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

Have played some really nice purple Yamaha 62s in soprano, alto and tenor. The most in tune soprano I ever had in my hands was a really early 62. It was a three digit serial number.

I have never played one of these early 62 baris. Whats' the legend here? Are they better than the current iteration? The same? Are they dogs? Weigh in for me, please.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Hey Querty, I came very close to purchasing an early purple logo baritone years ago and it was really a nice horn and the mid to late run is basically the same horn except for the tilting table keys. For the life of me I never understood why Yamaha didn’t set a pearl touch piece on the G# key for the 62 line. I also had a 3 digit YSS-62R soprano as my first soprano that I kept for a long time and it was sold about 14 years ago. I personally like the Selmer SA80 II sop more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,125 Posts
They’re basically the same but the new ones have a few refinements in the keywork. Same body tube.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,903 Posts
I have a purple logo baritone but mine is a 61.
It’s a great horn that I prefer over the 62 Baritone I had previously.
No annoying tilting table, just a nice light standard type one.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have a Mark VI low A bari, but I compared it to a purple logo 62 bari the other day. The purple logo 62 was every bit as good as the VI. I felt the 62 had more power and slightly better ergos. The VI tone was a little more refined, but the 62 was so much fun to play and blasted the paint off the walls. I'm thinking that one of these days I will get a purple logo 62 to go alongside my VI.....just have to get the kids to grow up and move out so that I have room to store both of them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts